Getting lapped?

I would like to learn more about lapping the OD of the ring .
Thats an interesting subject .
A NEW whetstone for all the gasket surfaces .
modern equipment may negate some lapping procedures .

I would like to learn more about lapping the OD of the ring .
Thats an interesting subject .
A NEW whetstone for all the gasket surfaces .
modern equipment may negate some lapping procedures .
Did you ever learn about this subject? I’m trying to find out the best way to lap some rings in my clone build.

Heres my opinion .
Need a fixture too hold the ring .
I assume at the proper size or desired size . Similar too what was used on flatheads to tirm
them in a lathe .
A perfectly round cylinder sized accordingly. Either spin pump up and down or best , both .
An ultra fine lapping compound .

Recently found this . In the archives.
Copy and pasted .
( would also make tension adjustments on the top and second rings from Burris. I had multiple cast iron sleeves of slightly different bores to process the rings. Stack about a dozen rings in the appropriate sleeve, put in the oven and set temperature to about medium low and shut the door. After a predetermined time I would remove them from the oven and wait until they assumed room temperature. After this procedure they were lapped on top, bottom and od. The od process involved a rotating sleeve turning (about 30-100 rpm) that the od of the ring was lapped inside. The sleeve made of chilled iron, ID honed (fun process) and of various sizes rotated while the ring was stroked up and down the bore with diamond paste. Under magnification but barely visible with the naked eye, after lapping there was a very very fine cross hatch that could be seen on the bore contact face of the ring, it probably lasted about 3 seconds of run time, but it looked cool.)

Back