Getting old tire to grip

Cakalac

What do you guys do to get an old tire to grip and make speed? Is it the constant wiping of base med prep in the tire weekly even when you know you won't run it? Do you sand them down the week you want to run it and start wiping bite that week? Reroll it if it needs it? What are some ways to get a 3mth old or 6mth old tire to run on a local Saturday night show? I've been running a track where a brand new tire is the fastest so now I have 4 sets of tires with one race on them I need to use up...I realize it's not going to make the speed of a new tire. I'm not talking about series racing here...

What tires and what kind of prep. And when you say brand new do you mean a new cut tire or a new uncut?
The tires I'm asking about are Maxxis pinks and blues. A new uncut tire is what the track has been liking. That's what I'm running. I haven't tried a cut there yet.

What do you guys do to get an old tire to grip and make speed? Is it the constant wiping of base med prep in the tire weekly even when you know you won't run it? Do you sand them down the week you want to run it and start wiping bite that week? Reroll it if it needs it? What are some ways to get a 3mth old or 6mth old tire to run on a local Saturday night show? I've been running a track where a brand new tire is the fastest so now I have 4 sets of tires with one race on them I need to use up...I realize it's not going to make the speed of a new tire. I'm not talking about series racing here...
Your best shot is re-roll them and If a med base prep is what the track likes keep them wiped a few times a week until you need them, But as you mention they will not be as fast as a fresh tire, If it's a series should be different tracks some tracks a little more ran cured tire is the ticket.

Last edited:
Warrior Creek you can use on old tire. We won the money the other week there on 7 month old tires, and 2nd place was also on 6-7 month old, it happens often.
Sugar Tit, older tire has been working there as well.
HRK im not sure of.
Just about anytime its a goat track, you can use older. Just have to know when also to get off of it if needed.

^ Pretty solid advice right there.
Also, when some folks talk about needing an "older" tire, they are referring to one that's been scuffed and in storage for a while, not necessarily one that's been run several times. Just throwing that out there as I hear that from tire customers often.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Warrior Creek you can use on old tire. We won the money the other week there on 7 month old tires, and 2nd place was also on 6-7 month old, it happens often.
Sugar Tit, older tire has been working there as well.
HRK im not sure of.
Just about anytime its a goat track, you can use older. Just have to know when also to get off of it if needed.
Rerolls or heavy internal old tires?

Back