Getting rid of tank

Every once in a while the thought appears here of getting rid of tank on a flathead. Cleaning shop up I came across some of my solutions. I took a clone carb, sawed the top off, drilled main jet passage out so the pickup tube would pass through it. Took a piece of aluminum flat duplicated hole pattern on carb. Drilled out where short pickup tube would pass through. Pulled both tubes out of carb. You have two choices cut long tube off and place it where short tube was or use brass part swell to fit and seal with jb weld. I tig welded cut off clone piece to aluminum plate and sealed with jb weld. Actually I waited til this step to drill and tap three mount holes in aluminum. Test fit til you get pickup tube length right. I also used part of brass pickup tube to create a vent for bowl. It's short crooked piece in photo. Assemble float and bowl and you now have a float controlled flathead carb. I also included pic of a animal carb bowl mount idea. Don't be afraid to think out of the box! Visit Hamilton Brothers Racing on YouTube to see what else we do when bored. You'll find our Frankenbriggs video and look on top of valve cover you will see a fuel pump mount that I used this carb but not in video.

Attachments

• 20191129_133804.jpg
    20191129_133804.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20191129_133833.jpg
    20191129_133833.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 107
So the clone jet well is where the short tube runs . There is no need for the long pickup tube .
Nifty idea.

So a pulse pump is going to fill the bowl? If so what keeps it from over filling. The flatty tank is just that and the carb has a pump diaphragm so now you have two pumps in the system? Don’t think that’s going to work🤷‍♂️

No need for the flathead pump as it only fills the small bowel in the flatty tank .
The float is still functional on the clone carb float bowel .

Back