getting started

dirtracer18

We are trying to bring back dirt karting to Colorado. We have a track 1/5th mile flat track. I am curious what is a good starting point for classes? Motor packages? right now we have older karts with a wide range of different engine packages. Clones, animals, built predators, kt 100's and a few vtwins. I don't want to tell anyone "no" or force people to go buy new motors. we just need some advice.

Thanks

The attitude of the track management, going forward, is the greatest asset OR liability that your new enterprise can have.
If management demonstrates a friendly, co-operative attitude toward the racers, more racers will turn out.
If management is inflexible and unco-operative with the racers you have, your enterprise will fail.

We are trying to bring back dirt karting to Colorado. We have a track 1/5th mile flat track. I am curious what is a good starting point for classes? Motor packages? right now we have older karts with a wide range of different engine packages. Clones, animals, built predators, kt 100's and a few vtwins. I don't want to tell anyone "no" or force people to go buy new motors. we just need some advice.

Thanks

I believe there is at least 1 sprint track in your area. Using engine packages/ rules consistent with those would seem like a good place to start. At least the 4 cycle rules.

I know there are some open predator karts that run some at Ft Morgan on the big car track.

Lincoln County Jr Raceway face book page has the rules that are run at North Platte, Nebraska. some of the karts come from the Imperial/Holyoke area to race there.
The emphasis is on the kids, with adults "getting" to race there, not "have" to race there.
Some thing for management to think about.

RWYB adult class is fun as long as everyone maintains the attitude they are doing this for fun.
One going overboard makes it hard to keep numbers.

If you have a wide variety of karting equipment in your area, and you are willing to risk being different, you could set up classes based upon lap times rather than by engine and weight class. You qualify all your karts, then group them into classes based upon similar qualifying times.

Some might sandbag during qualifying in order to gain an advantage in the races. You can combat this by having your best payouts in the fastest classes, and by timing leaders during races. You’ll need to decide how much speed gain is acceptable throughout the night, and black flag karts that exceed that – they are moved to start at the tail of the next fastest class (class order is from slowest to fastest).

Advantages: every safe kart that shows can race, no engine protests or tech or weighing or fuel tests, and generally low budget or low experience teams don’t end up having to race against the hot dogs (which helps encourage them to come back).

Drawbacks: the anti-sandbagging efforts, teams can’t enter multiple drivers using the same kart in different weight classes, and you could still end up with a lot of specialized classes due to kid class rules (different restrictor plates and ages), cannot run kids with adults, and because you can’t run flat karts and caged karts together.

In the end you will probably have to cater to the most popular engine / chassis / weight classes in your area, and use the same class structure and rules that other tracks in your area use. But lap time classes might create your own niche and draw teams that don’t fit into what those other tracks are doing.

Just go back to running 2 heats and the sandbaging will be gone cause u just in vert from the first heat to the sec saying if i start pole first heat sec heat u start tail

Back