Getting Started

Kartingdude1992

I am looking to buy myself an adult used race ready kart. I just want some opinions on what is the best manufacturer and year to try to go with for the $$.
Also I am also looking at trying to get my son either a kids kart or a beginner red plate kart and wondering what would be the best for him starting out? my son is only 2 years old and won't turn 3 until 2021. Any and all helpful information would be great! I am ready to listen!

You have at least 3years to wait on the child . I think 5 is the minimum age .
For yourself buy something in the 2010 or newer . Name brand chassis .
Popular in your area .

You have at least 3years to wait on the child . I think 5 is the minimum age .
For yourself buy something in the 2010 or newer . Name brand chassis .
Popular in your area .
This is something a lot of people miss on starting kids. No matter the age, if the kid doesnt know how to use the brake pedal, they shouldnt be on the track.

2010 or newer is good and find what the locals run. That makes parts easier to find.

I have a Dirt Squirt class from 4 to 7 , 79cc predator . I make sure to have a few practice sessions with them before turning them loose . I will put them in their kart and push them around the track and show them the line to run , to not run into each other , how to not brake aggressively , to show them how to pass another kart , and to not get to high and run into the wall or off the track , as well as concentrating on what they are doing and flags , and what they should do with each color flag . One thing that I should have taught them , don't wave at me or everyone else , LoL

Where do you plan on racing, and how competitive your competition is, is the factors in how old of a kart you purchase. 2010 and around there, may be good, or may not. Me personally, id have a kart within the last 5 years. The pricing difference isnt much.

Where do you plan on racing, and how competitive your competition is, is the factors in how old of a kart you purchase. 2010 and around there, may be good, or may not. Me personally, id have a kart within the last 5 years. The pricing difference isnt much.
There are a few places I would probably try to run at. Old Stateline speedway, Liberty Raceway park, Woodleaf speedway to name a few. From what I have seen a lot of people have an ultramax chassis or a phantom. I will more than likely be running a predator class to help save on some money.

I have a Dirt Squirt class from 4 to 7 , 79cc predator . I make sure to have a few practice sessions with them before turning them loose . I will put them in their kart and push them around the track and show them the line to run , to not run into each other , how to not brake aggressively , to show them how to pass another kart , and to not get to high and run into the wall or off the track , as well as concentrating on what they are doing and flags , and what they should do with each color flag . One thing that I should have taught them , don't wave at me or everyone else , LoL
Thank you for the helpful information! I would love to be able to get my son one!

There are a few places I would probably try to run at. Old Stateline speedway, Liberty Raceway park, Woodleaf speedway to name a few. From what I have seen a lot of people have an ultramax chassis or a phantom. I will more than likely be running a predator class to help save on some money.

What should I look at spending for a 2010 to 2015ish Ultramax or Phantom race ready kart?

What should I look at spending for a 2010 to 2015ish Ultramax or Phantom race ready kart?
I just sold a '16 Umax as a roller for $1300. Add a race ready predator, clutch, and tires... reasonably between $1600-$2000. The upper range being with extras, such as a spare parts or wheels and tires, bodies, etc. I'm a sucker for good looking equipment, so how well it has been maintained is important to me. Always always always thoroughly inspect a kart before your buy it. Easy things too look at are the bolts, spindle king pins, rod ends, and how free everything spins. If the bearings are gritty or not free, be ready to either replace them or spend some time getting them cleaned and operating properly.

Also check for cracked paint and powder coatings on the frame rails , as this may be a good indication of a bent chassis . The bottom of a kart will get the coatings worn off sometimes , and that isn't much of a big deal , but if the coatings are cracked and flaking off on the top sides of the rails in certain areas , chances are good its been wrecked pretty hard , not always , but a possibility . Just something to look for . And also , most chassis will not sit perfectly flat on a flat surface , so don't freak if you find one that doesn't , unless its really jacked up , then maybe question it .. JM2cW

Since you want to race in Predator, you dont need as new of a chassis as you would for clone, where you plan on racing at.
Liberty, if clone, i wouldnt be very old a chassis at all, along with Woodleaf. Havent been up to Stateline yet.
Liberty probably has one of the most competitive fields in all of karting.

Also check for cracked paint and powder coatings on the frame rails , as this may be a good indication of a bent chassis . The bottom of a kart will get the coatings worn off sometimes , and that isn't much of a big deal , but if the coatings are cracked and flaking off on the top sides of the rails in certain areas , chances are good its been wrecked pretty hard , not always , but a possibility . Just something to look for . And also , most chassis will not sit perfectly flat on a flat surface , so don't freak if you find one that doesn't , unless its really jacked up , then maybe question it .. JM2cW
Thank you!

Since you want to race in Predator, you dont need as new of a chassis as you would for clone, where you plan on racing at.
Liberty, if clone, i wouldnt be very old a chassis at all, along with Woodleaf. Havent been up to Stateline yet.
Liberty probably has one of the most competitive fields in all of karting.
Yeah there is three or four tracks near me that I would try to race at. I have been to woodleaf, and stateline personally but I haven't been to liberty yet. I will be racing predator also.

Yeah there is three or four tracks near me that I would try to race at. I have been to woodleaf, and stateline personally but I haven't been to liberty yet. I will be racing predator also.
I'm from nc and have been to or raced at all those tracks.....if you have never ran karts before my suggestion would be to get at least a year seat time and learning to get whichever chassis you get to handle correctly... tires and tire prep will be your biggest thing to learn...I haven't been to stateline in a while but if it's like it use to be it's fairly easy on tires and would be the track I would get the first year seat time at...as earl stated liberty is one of the most competitive tracks probably in the country...if I can help you in any way just let me know

I would recommend the Triton or the Recon. They’re fairly user friendly compared to some of the other chassis. I haven’t ridden on a UMAX since the late 90’s so I can’t tell you anything but they’re always fast. If you plan on racing LRP then you better stock up on tires. The track owner will usually let you come practice the day after a race at your own risk.

I would recommend the Triton or the Recon. They’re fairly user friendly compared to some of the other chassis. I haven’t ridden on a UMAX since the late 90’s so I can’t tell you anything but they’re always fast. If you plan on racing LRP then you better stock up on tires. The track owner will usually let you come practice the day after a race at your own risk.
Thank you for the helpful information! What track in my area is the best on tires? Also if LRP is open tire rule what’s the best tires for that track?

Thank you for the helpful information! What track in my area is the best on tires? Also if LRP is open tire rule what’s the best tires for that track?
Tri- County or Triple T. They’re tracks that are easy as far as what tire to be on. At Liberty or just about anywhere in the Southeast it’s gonna be hard to beat the Maxxis Pink and Blues. If you have any questions about tires for these track feel free to message me. If I don’t know the answer I will find it out.

Back