Getting Started

rfree82

I would like to get into kart racing, been a fan of the sport for a while. I've not been to a race in quite a while not even sure if there are tracks in my area that are still open. I live in southeast Georgia about 70 mi. from Jacksonville. I have a million questions, but the first I guess would be what should I look for when shopping for a used kart?

first decide what chassis builder u want there are a lot I would go will a chassis that is not older than 10 years I use phantom racing chassis and charger racing chassis from here I will let the experts speak

Welcome to Bobs ! I'm with will.h look for a good chassis first, but are you going to run dirt or asphalt ? Circle track or road course ?

He don't know what he's going to run cause he don't even know if he has a track near him. The first thing I would recommend is find a track, go to the track, see what classes they have , talk to people and take notes, and then go shopping.

I know there is a track in Callahan Fl but it is not open right now seems to be the running theme here all the tracks I went to a few years ago are no longer open. Callahan is supposed to be reopening soon and from what I hear they run clone engines and EL tires.

There is a great track in Jacksonville that is free to practice any day of the week. It is asphalt and has oval and sprint track. Go to www.northflkarting.com North Florida Kart Club runs and maintains the track. It is off 103rd street going west toward Cecil field.

There is also Volusia dirt oval. There is also and excellent facility in Jasper.

I would like to get into kart racing, been a fan of the sport for a while. I've not been to a race in quite a while not even sure if there are tracks in my area that are still open. I live in southeast Georgia about 70 mi. from Jacksonville. I have a million questions, but the first I guess would be what should I look for when shopping for a used kart?

Callahan will reopen, theres a track in the Savannah area, Dexter, Nashville, these are all dirt if thats what you want to race. And as Jack said, Maxville, and then theres Jasper also.
Used karts, i look for newer model with few races. In the area youre in, if youre going to be racing dirt, you will need a competitive kart, i wouldnt go more than 3 years older. And less than 15-20 races. Thats just my opinion though.

How far are you from Sylvania, Ga.? Screven down there is an awesome smaller track, and it's in the same complex as the big car track and drag strip. They run them all three on the same days ,I think, and the kart track is banked with multiple racing grooves. Pretty cool place if it's not too far away.

Back