GM Announces The End Of Building Diesel/Gas-Powered Cars And Trucks

Could the reason for that have anything to do with the sizable subsidies the government offers for every electric vehicle produced??? GM is on the dole!!

Found this to be quite interesting. Wonder how this will affect all forms of racing in the future???

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gm-announces-the-end-of-building-diesel-gas-powered-cars-and-trucks/
It will be quieter I imagine.

In all seriousness, I doubt that it will change much for racing. With the fact that most people in the racing world dont use factory engines anyway, I would have a hard time believing anything will change. With that said, just because they stop building gas powered vehicles doesnt mean they are going to stop supporting them. Parts will still need to exist to properly service their customers. Not to mention the number of duramax diesels that are currently on contract with the US government.

The article says they will stop combustion engine production by 2035. My math says this is 14 years from now which is two year too late for the end of the planet according to A.O.C. and 5 years too late according to Biden Administration Climate Envoy, John Kerry's recent comments that the planet could experience a cataclysmic climate event in nine years. So, if these two are correct, it won't matter what GM's plans are. In all seriousness, proclamations like this are not nearly as concrete as they sound. GM is going to produce whatever the market will demand in my opinion--their Board/investors will require it. We just happen to be in a moment of time in which such proclamations will gain them favor with those who wish to move away from the internal combustion engine. I have no doubts GM is going to move toward non-fossil fuel powered vehicles just like other companies, but whether they will be totally out of the combustion engine market in 14 years remains to be seen. CMac

They said the same thing about horse and buggies. A very small amount of them are still used. Mostly by the Amish and third world countries.
BUT I just cannot imagine a top fuel dragster with an electric engine!

It's a blind promise to get a headline and build hype to attract investors. Just like tesla does. 5 years from now that 2035 date will have been quietly rolled back when reality sets in. That reality being the electrical grids that can't support that extra load caused by everyone trying to charge their vehicles. Let's focus on infrastructure that will be able to support our futures, rather than make blind promises. All that being said, Id have no issues buying an electric vehicle. I might miss the sounds of internal combustion, but that instant peak torque would probably make me forget about it pretty quickly.

They said the same thing about horse and buggies. A very small amount of them are still used. Mostly by the Amish and third world countries.
BUT I just cannot imagine a top fuel dragster with an electric engine!
Search YouTube on topic,you'll be surprised
Formula E seems to be doing ok

It's a blind promise to get a headline and build hype to attract investors. Just like tesla does. 5 years from now that 2035 date will have been quietly rolled back when reality sets in. That reality being the electrical grids that can't support that extra load caused by everyone trying to charge their vehicles. Let's focus on infrastructure that will be able to support our futures, rather than make blind promises. All that being said, Id have no issues buying an electric vehicle. I might miss the sounds of internal combustion, but that instant peak torque would probably make me forget about it pretty quickly.
Gonna have to get about 300 miles on a charge and be able to fully charge in 6 hours before I buy in

You don't think the grid will be updated any over the next 14 years? I do. Or, it had better be after the cluster during this last cold snap.
I would sure as hell hope it would be, but with the current state of the US infrastructure....im not getting my hopes up.

Look up Don Garlits Electric Dragster. There have been 2 electric dragster in the 6s that I know of. I am not saying I want it that way but you would be surprised how fast those battery cars will go. You will not get the same enjoyment from an electric car though. I think that we should keep all racing forms the same. I dont even have my drivers license yet but once I do I can confirm that I am not buying an electric car. There is a small chance that I would buy a electric car and that would be in like 30 years and it would have to go a very far distance and charge pretty fast. None of the goes 200 miles and you have to charge stuff.

Back