Goat

Surveyor

I have seen and been told many times once a goat tire always a goat tire. What exactly does that mean? Tire will not accept other preps. Or other preps will still mimic the goat. Other preps will separate and create a chemical slide? I know goat is mixed with many other preps, do most tires end up prep specific?

when you put aggressive chemicals in tires you are forever changing that tire. that chemical may dry up but its always there. Around three weeks later the tire will harden back up but a 55 duro goat tire will never preform like a 55 duro tire that's never had aggressive in or on it.
there is no going back once applied

I have seen and been told many times once a goat tire always a goat tire. What exactly does that mean? Tire will not accept other preps. Or other preps will still mimic the goat. Other preps will separate and create a chemical slide? I know goat is mixed with many other preps, do most tires end up prep specific?
It's one of those things you have to learn or figure out on your own. Any chemical, aggressive or mild, changes the tire. To give a partial answer to your questions: If the tire has previously seen goat it can still be ran without prep, a mild prep, or a different aggressive prep. I couldn't say I ever experienced an issue with chemicals not mixing if chemical "A" was applied to a tire and ran and then chemical "B" was wiped.

I, along with several people I know, classify tires as no prep, mild prep, and aggressive prep.

When I hear someone say "once a goat tire...." I take it to mean it will usually be used only as an aggressive prep tire. As noted at the start of my comment, you'll need to figure some of this out on your own. I have used a tire that has had goat wiped when other were on never prepped tires and had the same lap times. Others have shared they had done the same and had similar results while others tell me they tried it and it didn't work for them. I think there's a combination of variables that you have to look at, how long has the tire sat, how was the prep applied, when was the prep applied, thickness of the tire, how many laps were run on the tire, what does the tire duro, how did you treat / clean the tire after running it, etc... Taking a freshly resurfaced tire and wiping goat for a handful of qualifying laps and storing it dirty for a couple of weeks vs a sister set of tires that are freshly resurfaced and has a base wipe of another chemical before applying goat and running a 20 lap feature that is immediately cleaned and sits for 3 months before it's touched are going to respond differently the next time you use them.

Goat typically softens a good bit, maybe too much if you're not careful, makes those particular only good for one type of track condition, you certainly can try to apply other kinds of preps over it for other track conditions, but you'll sure to have a hard time making them as fast as a fresh tire prepped with the proper prep for whatever track surface conditions you're racing on imo...hence why many use that statement once a goat, always a goat...

Back