Going open, big or little?

C&L_MOTORSPORTS

Just bought 2 wka legal stock animals (Capps). one I'm leaving stock and the other going to modify.
can't decide how to build just yet and how big. we will be running in an Open 4cycle class against Blockzillas,Animal opens, clone opens and preditor open. I don't want to overkill by building too big but want to be competitive also. Not planning on a stroker if we go open but would like to be close to 20HP. we race on a 1/5th mile semi banked track with sweeping turns. Most stock classes don't lift.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Just bought 2 wka legal stock animals (Capps). one I'm leaving stock and the other going to modify.
can't decide how to build just yet and how big. we will be running in an Open 4cycle class against Blockzillas,Animal opens, clone opens and preditor open. I don't want to overkill by building too big but want to be competitive also. Not planning on a stroker if we go open but would like to be close to 20HP. we race on a 1/5th mile semi banked track with sweeping turns. Most stock classes don't lift.
Any ideas?
what track will you be running in Southern Indiana please ?

If your going to race in a modified class anyway, I vote with Brian; no matter how big you bore it, stroke it too; there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Stroker kits on sale for $329.95
Includes:
Stroker crank
Stroker rod
CV / Je piston
Piston
Rings
Conversion bearing
Conversion seal
Conversion crank gear

I'll agree I like HP but you gotta hook it up!! This is not a clay track more like crawdad clay or field dirt but at least it's the same for everybody racing.
Jimbo, good price on the kit! I'll probably be getting back with you.
Another question guys, how big of valves? Going to need head work done then figure out what camshaft to run.

can't decide how to build just yet and how big. we will be running iin an Open 4cycle class against Blockzillas,Animal opens, clone opens and preditor open. I don't want to overkill by building too big but want to be competitive also. Not planning on a stroker if we go open but would like to be close to 20HP. we race on a 1/5th mile semi banked track with sweeping turns. Most stock classes don't lift.
Any ideas?

If 20 hp is all you need, all you need is a Limited Animal.

If 20 hp is all you need, all you need is a Limited Animal.
Yep!!
Of course, Racing Dad, as soon as you lose with 20 hp you'll be properly dissatisfied with that choice.

Do yourself a favor, get a 249cc block and piston......a WF rod, and start life with 249cc's....for low bucks.
Your crank, head, carb, pipe, all that stuff will go right on....altho the head probably ought to be worked on a bit
to accomodate the bigger bore of the 249cc engine. The 249 engine is called a model 15.

I know the old saying (go big or stay home), haven't touched either one of the motors yet and still debating on how to build it. After I have talked to a couple builders seems like all i'll use is the block and head so I may go with a new block and start from scratch. PD thanks for the input as I have already thought about the 15.
Thanks

Back