good baseline setup for tempest?

W5R

im looking for a good baseline setup for an 06 tempest, trying to figure out a good setup that i can take to just about any track and be competitive with very little if any changes. im hoping to get a setup down to where i can just work with tires, air and wheel placement to fix problems i might have. i figured with so many people still riding a tempest, i might get some good numbers here.

what i have it at now is around 56 left, 62 cross, and 46 nose, 2.75 rf camber and .5-.75 lf camber, 1 1/2 front stagger and 1 1/4 rear stagger, stock caster on both sides. the kart has been fast, but i believe i need more left, more cross, and a little more nose, according to hi-tech's website. can anyone give me a good all around baseline for this kart? it has been fast, but i know there is more speed in this kart. Right now, it seems to be faster on a tacky or wet track and a little tight or not as fast on a good biting fast track.

Try 57.5 left
66-68 cross
45.5 nose
9 & 12 caster
+.5 lf & -2.75 to -3.0 rf

Those are interesting percentages; can I ask how you figure them?
Seems I see percentages all over the place. I particularly watch the difference across the front and back. You would be surprised at how much they differ. Yours are on the high side of the ones I’ve seen and I’m just wondering why?

Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

I came up with these from running this chassis for a couple seasons. The reason you see percentages all over the place is because of the differences in the way the chassis are designed to transfer weight.

depends on track surface and tires..

burris in the midwest

45.5 nose never over 46.5......
57.5 and up on leftside. especially with burris as the night goes.. if you add lead to make weight always move 5 lbs. from right to left side of the seat as the track picks up.
62-66 cross.. to be on 66 it has to have good bite in the track.. hard and fast..

track with lower bite 2.25-2.5 rfc and .5 lfc
track with higher bite 2.75-3.25 rfc and .25 to .5 lfc

front tires sucked in as close as possible. left rear thumb width away from the cassette. right rear 1/8-3/16ths...

Try 57.5 left
66-68 cross
45.5 nose
9 & 12 caster
+.5 lf & -2.75 to -3.0 rf

These numbers are really close to what has always worked good for me on every 05 and 06 Tempest I have run. On the one I have won more races which for some reason we could never find feels different from the rest it ran better with high cross, up to 70 at any track unless it was very high banked. Try high cross and about 57 left. I usually run heavy. If you run lighhter classesyou might want to change you left wright. Anyway you would never find to chassis that feel exactly the same. JmO. Hope it helped.

By the way, I forgot, I would go with 3/4 to 1 rear stagger and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 front. And most important specially on Tempest, get the right tires. They are very*fast*but very sensitive to tire changes IMO. Best chassis. Love them.

Back