Got a little hot.... GoKart rebuild after CampFire

8745jack

Hi everyone
My name is Jack. I hope I’m in the right place, while I’m not a noob to mechanics but I am a noob to GoKarts.
I recently picked up an older kart for a project with my 10 year old. Ever since I took him to indoor kart place he’s been talking about wanting to get one and maybe even race. I live in Butte Co. where the famous Camp Fire happened last year. Short story long we got a free Kart that ran before the fire. Almost everything is singed on it but we already started to clean stuff up. I know nothing about karts but the parts on this thing look to be “pro” grade
engine turns fine and oil is clean. The fire burned up the front tires, front bearings are locked. Melted the wiring harness, seatbelts, seat cover, brake lines, throttle and other linkages

Goal is to rebuild it. I need help with IDing this kart and it’s parts and where to get replacement for what we’re rebuilding ?
wiring looks to be generic off the shelf chinisium kit.... similar to this, this is also what I want to order. Amazon.com: JINGKE Complete Electrics Stator Coil CDI Wiring Harness for 4 Stroke ATV KLX 50cc 70cc 110cc 125cc Quad Bike Buggy Go Kart Pit Dirt Bikes: Gateway

I have plenty of cars and other projects so the budget is mostly coming from my sons allowance, birthday money etc. I’ll help him but he’ll have to earn some $$$ for this thing.

Friend of a friend (I need to meet) races karts and has many used 6 inch tiress along with a dirt track on his property. Im waiting to hear back from him what size tires he has as these wheels are 5inch and I dont want to order anything that wont work with his tires.

Thanks for everyone's input

day we got it
HimEEVq.jpg

m9JoL9u.jpg

started to clean stuff up. currently the cage is off and getting powder coated
udh2PZL.jpg

qlMhaTf.jpg

engine is a roketa 200cc
qYC2AhL.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lot of power for a young kid to start out with.
From my experience i'd be putting a Briggs LO 206 on it.
Is there even a track around you that has a class for his age with that kart/engine?

Morning Jack, I'm kind of with Jimbo on this and also there hardly are any places you're going to be racing that legitimately.
I'm out here in Denver and I can say before you dive to deep into this project to check out the CKT series here. It's a strong series with great numbers and a lot of options to get into kart racing.
I think you'd be much happier throwing money towards a true racing experience rather than fixing this up to just do some back yard racing.

https://www.coloradokartingtour.com/

Way to much engine for a kid!! Get a clone with a restrictor plate if you want him to be able to race it at local sanctioned tracks. That engine is good for nothing but RWYB and open class and best of luck finding parts for it!

Heck with the naysayers. If this is your goal, just do it sensibly -- limit kid to 1st or 2nd gear for a while, then build from there, or limit throttle travel. I'd worry about the frame having been "un"-heat-treated by the fire, but odds are it's a QRC or SKE chassis, possibly a Gannon chassis. What brand of engine is it? Displacement? There's lots of winged outlaw kart racing on the west coast, and some growing pockets here in southeast, etc. There's a dedicated forum here, or at least there used to be. Good luck! 5" treaded tires are available from bmikarts.com -- the Duro ones look cool, and may be harder compound (less traction, but last longer.) Look in the race kart tire section (treads and rains). (Racing Go Kart Tires and Racing Slicks | BMI Karts and Parts )

The rest of the parts should be readily available from karting and winged outlaw kart suppliers. BMI will have a lot of it. Azusa in CA may have what you need. I'd recommend a better seat (full containment model, see: kirkey or ultrashield for seat, and racequip or similar for 5 pt. belt options) Use a hans-type device with this type of kart -- some sort of SFI rated head and neck restraint, and get a firesuit and appropriate safety gear.

This isn't a trivial little kart, it's the pinnacle of kart-type performance, and should be taken seriously.

Good luck and have fun.

I kind of figured it was a lot of engine. The local gokart race track is being used by red cross since the fire. Nearest one after that is 2 hours away, It’s going to be backyard racing for a while unless he decides to get serious - then we’ll explore other options. Kid knows how to drive stick on my cars, including one that’s supercharged. I can always restrict power. For now this is basically to get him to get familiar with the machine and see where it takes him...

Last edited:
Heck with the naysayers. If this is your goal, just do it sensibly -- limit kid to 1st or 2nd gear for a while, then build from there, or limit throttle travel. I'd worry about the frame having been "un"-heat-treated by the fire, but odds are it's a QRC or SKE chassis, possibly a Gannon chassis. What brand of engine is it? Displacement? There's lots of winged outlaw kart racing on the west coast, and some growing pockets here in southeast, etc. There's a dedicated forum here, or at least there used to be. Good luck!

Thanks, my thoughts also. Engine is Rocketa 200

It really didn’t get that hot. None of the aluminum melted and just the paint singed in most places. This thing was outside close to a structure, soft parts caught fire from radiant heat

Thank you for the names, I’ll start my research.

I’m here mostly to try and save time as to what parts I need etc.

Thoughts on my wiring choice ?
Jack

Edit: thanks for the update with parts stores, I’ll look into those as well. I’m pretty sure this is a Kirkey seat. 5 point harness is what burned away on this thing also

Last edited:
That motor probably has about 15-18hp....not outrageous, not bad. Parts should be available through regular chinese motor vendors. good luck!

You can make a nose out of late model body plastic. I had one of sheet metal, but the plastic would be "safer". I'll link here when I get back home, or if I find it on facebook... and tail cones are available, or you can make a rough plug mold out of layers of blue DOW foam and cover with a fiberglass repair kit from auto parts store. Wings are available....I can make them for myself, but never tried one to sell...shipping prohibitive.

Here's my old video, which should give you some ideas:

Back yards are notoriously unsafe. Rough terrain, trees, swing sets, garages, concrete structures etc.
A go kart race track normally doesn't have these obstacles.
You should purchase the appropriate safety gear before you even start on this project.
Once this project is finished the temptation to hop in and try it out will be enormous.

Thanks Ted - QRC is about 50 miles from home. I'll be getting parts from them

Jimbo - you're absolutely right about onece finished. This "backyard" track is on a field in the county, guy uses it to practice with his outlaw

If you don't care about date code, I have 2 that are in great shape, just sat unused too long after being uninstalled from a micro. It may take me a little digging to find 'em. I think there's 1 4-point, 1 5 point.

Most stock car sanctioning bodies require the seat belts be replaced at least every 2 years. Some tracks require every year.
Find your local stock car/ sprint car guy. He may be able to help you out.

Back