Got my 250 running, have two remaining issues...

Hobby87

Finally got my cr250 running (in neutral), having two issues before I can call it complete!

1) the carb has a small overflow/seep line that runs out the bottom of the bowl, for some reason is allows fuel to constantly flow out of it when engine is running, should that line be blocked off, run elsewhere?

2) my clutch lever does not allow for the transmission to disengage? There is plenty of throw in the cable, it's not bound, just won't let it come completely out of gear, so basically, I can only start the kart in neutral, not sure I can just shift it without the clutch? I can run through the gears with it on the stand via the shifter lever just fine, should I take the side cover off, could something be loose/incorrect in the case?

The pump needs to have a return line to the tank in the main line. Might have to put a restrictor in the return to keep enough fuel to the carb, but not overflow the carb. Really simple to do.

ABR, that's explains it! when I got the motor it had a splitter behind the fuel pump (like a return line) but i couldn't figure out why? My issue will be that the tank only has one fitting on it, so have to figure out how to dump the return line into the tank. Thanks for the headsup!

If the motor has been sitting for any length of time, the clutch pack will stick. With the motor running, pull in the clutch lever and try to stall the motor with the brake and it may pop loose. If not, you have other issues.

Thanks Seay, i'll give that a try, it has been sitting for quite some time, i was surprised at how quick it fired off yesterday after sitting so long. if that does not work, can I take the side cover off and "clean" the clutch pack or manually "unstick" it?

Your best bet is to try what Chris said, they'll sometimes stick back if you take the apart and don't run it to scuff the surfaces.

I just drilled a hole in my tank and threaded a 1/4 line barb into the tank in the top. Worked fine, just might have to experiment with restricting the return to keep sufficient fuel flow to the carb under race conditions.

Others have suggested a spark plug tip. Screw it off and it fits snug in the line. I put mine just before the tank inlet in the return line. Haven't had an issue so far.

Yes, that will work also
Your best bet is to try what Chris said, they'll sometimes stick back if you take the apart and don't run it to scuff the surfaces.

I just drilled a hole in my tank and threaded a 1/4 line barb into the tank in the top. Worked fine, just might have to experiment with restricting the return to keep sufficient fuel flow to the carb under race conditions.

Others have suggested a spark plug tip. Screw it off and it fits snug in the line. I put mine just before the tank inlet in the return line. Haven't had an issue so far.

Just to confirm, I need to be able to start it in a gear (other than neutral) if I am to attempt to un stick them as Chris suggested? I may also take the side cover off and see if I can clean the plates up if they are just stuck from sitting/ surface rusting

FWIW, this is Charlie Stoffa' old motor, so I doubt there's any internal issues, but I can't guarantee that. :) Good luck and have fun!

Just wanted everyone to know, it was the clutch pack sticking, I actually took the pack apart, cleaned and reassembled it, works perfect, fixed the gas leak too by adding a restricter and return line, so we are good to race this weekend, thanks to everyone for the help!!!

Matt

Back