Got Screwed Over by a Kart Shop

sundog

The guy I build engines for bought a brand new roller from a big name kart shop selling their own brand of chassis. He puts it on the scales and the right front is 20Lb heavy and 3/8" lower. I talked him through all the things to check over the phone but nothing fixed it. Kart shop had him take it to a local rep that confirmed the problem and put a big bar on and bent it around. After he got it home it had the same dang problem. Did it spring back? who knows. Come to find out the rep is sponsored by the kart shop so he's telling them what they want to hear and the kart shop is totally screwing over my buddy blowing him off saying stuff like "we don't know what you did to the kart" and "just run it and see how it goes". Basically we got your money so screw you, bad customer service deal. Hard to believe this from such a well established shop. Any suggestions on how to handle this. Anyway, the green flag at Summit Point is 2 weeks away so he's bringing it over for me to have a look.

Sundog

Not quite understanding what the 20 lb heavier on the RF told ya ?? BUT If I'm understanding correctly he bought a NEW chassis the shop had him take it to a dealer rep that took a big bar to it and started bending tubing Ya there would be an issue, Did he wreck it and the rep was trying to tweak it back ???

Sounds like it was jigged wrong on assembly, or otherwise tweaked. Alternative would be it was raced, wrecked, re-powdered, and reassembled. Seems like a stretch for that level of effort... If I was the shop, I'd have taken it back and swapped it out just to preserve my reputation and avoid posts like this... Being that you mentioned Summit Point, I would have to imagine that this is a sprint chassis and the fronts should be equal, not .375 off....that's a LOT for any chassis, let alone a sprint. I'd make it clear to the shop that you'd like to support them and tell a story of exemplary customer service under a tight timeframe, but if necessary you'll tell the whole story and name names here and on FB... Also the BBB and possibly small-claims courts may help as last resort...

This kart has never seen the track since he bought it. I'm thinking someone put a C bracket on backwards or something. The bare frame cost $1550 so maybe worth it to re-powder coat after a wreck? When it gets here I'll report back what I find.

The problem i see here is it going though multiple hands . The shop has multiple outs . No matter your expertise . Brand new should have been returned too point of origin . Having been adjusted via bar by authorized agent is no benifit . Cutting, welding or bending a brand new chassis is
Not something anyone wants too do .

I'd be calling them out on this...flattop & the others are right. Should have given it back to the kart shop. The fact that the kart shop allowed the rep to put a bar to it was a huge red flag. They'd either replace it, refund the money or face the consequences. If not, I'd make sure I 100% truthfully worded a blast & let everybody know. That is completely unsat!

I'd be calling them out on this...flattop & the others are right. Should have given it back to the kart shop. The fact that the kart shop allowed the rep to put a bar to it was a huge red flag. They'd either replace it, refund the money or face the consequences. If not, I'd make sure I 100% truthfully worded a blast & let everybody know. That is completely unsat!
AMEN

My friend is a moron, he just called me and said he found the problem. The right wheel was way toed out. First thing I told him to check. Still interesting to see how that kart shop handles problems so poorly. Bob, feel free to delete this thread.

Sundog

A toe'd out wheel has additional camber, pushing the tire's edge DOWN and falsely amplifying the weight on that wheel... Part of why it's good to set toe with driver in kart, and scale with driver in kart... Still surprising a shop wouldn't at least take the chassis back to verify its' straight... Mistakes happen. But it's probably better you didn't make a (innocently) false accusation....

Back