Green Air Filter - Oiling

keithwarren7

Have a new 206 arriving soon and have been reading various stuff about caring for it and getting started with it. I am relatively new to karting (more specifically, new to working on my sons kart) and am unsure about something. I read things about "oiling" the air filter. Can anyone speak to that? Why would you do it (ie what value does it have), when to do it? How much to apply, how often? Is there a specific kind of oil/spray I should use?

If you are going to be racing on dirt, the first thing i would do is put some kind of deflector or home made fender between the RR tire and the air filter.
If it's a dusty track you can destroy the engine (rings) the first time out.
Oiling simply helps to keep (trap) the dust / dirt before it can get in the engine.
Even if you race on asphalt you can get a lot of dirt or debris thrown right at the air filter.
Even though the rules may say you aren't allowed to use any prefilters, i would lobby to allow it in many situations.
You can use a foam or fine mesh nylon prefilter to go over the air filter.
You can oil the foam pre-filters but i would not oil the nylon mesh pre-filters.
If you are going to oil the Green filter there are many racing products like Briggs, Klotz or K&N filter oil that you can use. The directions are on the spray can. You can get it from almost any advertiser on this site or maybe at your local auto parts store or even mas merchandiser.

Double check the Briggs rules. As long as you are using an un-modified Green air filter, there is nothing that says you can not use a pre-filter from my interpretation of the 2018 Briggs rules. Is there an organization the says no pre-filters?

Some sprint racing rules do not allow the use of Pre-filters because of the fear that someone just might put something under the prefilter or treat the air filter with some type of power booster or accelerant.
To not use some type of Pre-filter when dirt oval racing is a recipe for short engine life.
If someone shows up on the grid with a rag over their air filter i would not allow him to start the race until he replaced the air filter with a different one. I would not let him use another one of his air filters. I would gladly give him one of mine to use. I would impound his original filter and inspect it very carefully.

I would be more concerned about guys running excess fuel line (with an additive in it) than guys freezing nitro in their air filter.
Yes, both methods work for a short time...but if you ever considered how long one of these engines will run off of simply fuel in the line, you'd see why some have gone to running a little extra line and some juice.

If you run on dirt or pavement, I would highly recommend oiling the Green filter.
It will not hurt the airflow enough to change any performance on your engine at all. (Just be sure that the oil has had adequate time to dry before racing.)
Do not over oil. Enough to "color" the filter is adequate. It should not be dripping or wet.

For dirt, every track that I have been to allows the use of a pre-filter for the LO206 class. Any that does not, would be one to steer away from. I can't imagine what else that tech man would look for if he's that concerned with tossing someone over pre-filters!
Keep in mind that rain protectors are allowed at pavement events when there is rain/moisture present.
Usually an Outerwears is sufficient as a pref-filter on dirt. Occasionally I have seen the need for a foam pre-filter that also needs oiled. Biggest problems I have seen is off track excursions or when you pull off of the track coming back to the scale area, etc.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Sundog
Sometimes we don't give cheaters enough credit for their ingenuity.

We run on asphalt and with an oiled filter dust/dirt tends to cake up after just a few sessions. Get 2 or 3 filters and have them cleaned, oiled ready to go and you shouldn't have any problems.

Back to first post. Don't over-oil! A couple of thin lines around the filter will bleed out to the rest of the filter for a nice coverage that does the job that does not restrict airflow.

DK

These filters are designed to be oiled for use. The oil helps trap the small particles that may otherwise make it through the filter. I have had many people complain about dust in the carburetors, even with a pre-filter. Had them oil the filter, and no more problem.

Back to first post. Don't over-oil! A couple of thin lines around the filter will bleed out to the rest of the filter for a nice coverage that does the job that does not restrict airflow.

DK
Thank you. I was looking all over for the how not the why.

These filters are designed to be oiled for use. The oil helps trap the small particles that may otherwise make it through the filter. I have had many people complain about dust in the carburetors, even with a pre-filter. Had them oil the filter, and no more problem.
i know this is an old one someone bumped but to throw another piece in. Put some grease on the filter adapter to help catch the fine stuff that might get through

Honestly if you soaked the filter in nitro right before you left the grid it would be gone by the first 1/2 parade lap.
And how would you tune it? Nitro soaked filter, lots of Nitro (and you tell me how much you tune for) the first part of the race, no Nitro the 2nd part of the race. I can't begin to figure how to tune for that!

I'm going to add it to my "urban legends" file.

Once saw a couple guys, in the flathead days, at a street race, elbowing the air filter coming off the corner. Getting a nice burst, from their elbow pad.

O the flathead days, a bungy cord holding the carb and tank up close to the blocks port with loose bolts. Almost like a secondary throttle valve. Tune to that "urban legend" Alvin.

And how would you tune it? Nitro soaked filter, lots of Nitro (and you tell me how much you tune for) the first part of the race, no Nitro the 2nd part of the race. I can't begin to figure how to tune for that!

I'm going to add it to my "urban legends" file.
They freeze the filter, and the nitro would liquify throughout the race.
Urban legend myth busted.

As for how they tuned them...I couldn't even begin to tell you, but it's been done many times. (Maybe by experience and melted pistons.) :)

Back