Green Carb Jets

Jimbo

You can fool some of the people some of the time
I'm seeing green carb jets and emulsion tubes.
It can build up enough to plug the main jet.
Does anyone know what's causing it?
Thank you
Jim

I have found that color in many of the kart, quads and Bike carbs that I have cleaned. I have always thought it was from the ethanol we have in the pump gas that is used in this area.

Additive packages vary from region to region, especially during the Winter.

Major Metro areas may have a different additive package than the suburbs using same distributor source.

You are just seeing residue from one of those additives.

Could be something in the fuel blend, or it could just be water and air.
I see it most when a bowl has been drained and left empty for a long period of time (winter, etc.)
Looks perty on the copper roofs of old buildings, not so much in carburetors.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

After all these years I've never seen it (green) until this year.
Now I see it quite often
Everyone is required to buy their gas from the same place. We may have to change to a different brand of fuel.
At the last race I had 2 carbs that were so plugged with it they would hardly run.
It seems too actually grow on the bottom of the main jet and emulsion tube. If you carefully clean it off the main jet, you can see it will actually be pitted.
That tells me there is a chemical reaction between the brass parts and something in the fuel. But what?
I've always recommended draining the carb after each race event spraying WD 40 into the fuel inlet, removing the air filter and spraying the main air bleed tube and the idle air hole with WD 40 also.
Lately I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
Thanks to all for your help,
Jim

I noticed this when I used fogging oil to spray my methanol engines for the winter, I stopped and just flushed them with two stroke oil. Then kept Briggs 4T in them. Not sure, but I haven't used Fogging oil since.

Back