green plate clone stall speed and max rpm

mouse31

as the title says , what is a good starting point for clutch stall and max rpm on a 10th mile bull ring? drum clutch small pipe.

I'd be at 3000 stall 5200-5500 max rpm depends on your motor I got a purple plate that falls on it's face at 58 and another that likes 6300

Seems that opinions vary quite a bit.

Take your bathroom scale, put it between the nose your kart and a strong wall, with the driver in the kart, start the engine, warm it up a little bit, then give it full throttle. If you read the scale and the tack and write it down, that's one data point. Adjust the clutch for more or less slip and do it again. The rpm that gives the highest scale reading is the one you want to race with. As much trouble as this is, it's absolutely fool proof. Of course nothing is fool proof, those fools are so clever.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)
will

We have same kinda track. With same green plate. What kind of gears do u guys run. Trying to get my sons geared right and its kicken my butt.

Whats is a good rpm range for a built green plate with a small pipe , the track is a fast momentum track that you normally don't have to lift, had my Grandson on a 16/63 and the others just seem.to have way more top end speed , he was turning around 5680 rpms

Whats is a good rpm range for a built green plate with a small pipe , the track is a fast momentum track that you normally don't have to lift, had my Grandson on a 16/63 and the others just seem.to have way more top end speed , he was turning around 5680 rpms
I could be way off but that gear seems off to me, our green plate on somewhat of a momentum track we run a 18-63 and turned 5800 last Saturday night, but some of the more knowledgeable people will help I'm sure

If you had to guess track size ? Do you happen to know how your 16/63 compared to the Sr Clones racing there. ?

My plate engine is a Doug Cash green plate, i feel im going backwards and should have been dropping rear gear, i think ive been looking at this all wrong , and listening to folks saying it should be turning around 5800, maybe so on a bullring track but this is a wide open momentum track that you barely lift , maybe i should be on a 59 or 60, insted of trying to turn it up in rpms

Yes my oldest grandson runs clone medium and he runs a 15/63, turning 6800 to 7000,
If 15/63 is right for Sr Clone with a green plate you would be a 17/61 ish for sure maybe even a 18 front driver, with the 16/63 you were some what gear bound and most likely tach reading was not correct.

My plate engine is a Doug Cash green plate, i feel im going backwards and should have been dropping rear gear, i think ive been looking at this all wrong , and listening to folks saying it should be turning around 5800, maybe so on a bullring track but this is a wide open momentum track that you barely lift , maybe i should be on a 59 or 60, insted of trying to turn it up in rpms
Now your thinking the right direction BUT with the 16 front driver you would of Been around a 57, What RPM did Doug tell you to shoot for ?

Talk to Doug
Plate classes usually run one more tooth on the clutch driver, than say clone medium or heavy

If you tell everyone the track you will get a for sure answer.

I had a clone that we ran down the street with green plate and small pipe, wouldn't turn over 5300. Switch a big pipe on and it will turn 6200.

Talk to Doug
Plate classes usually run one more tooth on the clutch driver, than say clone medium or heavy
Not all plate classes work out the same with front driver, as the hole gets smaller the front driver increases even more, a blue plate might only be 1 bigger.

Back