green plate clone

What rpm to engage clutch and what is peak rpm? Has anyone just plate swapped from a blue to green with success ? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. We don't have a local clone class. I picked up a used blue plate clone for one show and got the info for that. But now we want to run it in a second show, but its a green plate show.

Thanks for the info. We don't have a local clone class. I picked up a used blue plate clone for one show and got the info for that. But now we want to run it in a second show, but its a green plate show.
I’m not trying to step on anybodys toe’s, but if you want to know “for a fact” where the clutch should be set, do a bathroom scale check.
Put a bathroom scale between the front of your kart and a “strong” wall. Warm the engine up, floor it and check the scale reading. (Don’t hold it wide open too long.) Adjust the clutch, more or less slip, and check it again. Find the slip RPM that gives you the highest reading on the scale. You want the clutch stall RPM to be at peak torque. If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, it transfers that torque thru the chain to the axle. With peak torque at the axle, you have peak HP at the axle. Torque x RPM / 5252.1 = HP
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

Al. I hear where you are coming from, but drum clutches are not as easily adjusted. Its shoe weight and spring combos. Seeing we don't run these around here, I just need a good starting point and normal upper rpm level for gearing. Thanks for the responses.

Back