Green plate gearing question

Thisguy

So we run a 1/8 mile pretty much flat track. 14/67 gets us around 5900-6000 rpm. We are still getting out ran by almost a full corner to the leader. Always finishing 2nd or 3rd. Tried a 13-62 and almost same results. Going to switch to a 219 setup and see where that gets us. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated?

I can tell you that trying to target a certain rpm on a tach will not always be the fastest. Stopwatch never lies. 14/67 may hit your target rpm but 14/64 may be way faster. Just have to test and see what works for you guys.

I don't think the speed you're looking for can be found in gearing. I would look into kart setup and tires. The gear change you did, should have shown some gains to be what you're lacking.

Why are you trying to go 6000 RPM with a green plate? Most are around 5500-5600 at small tracks that i know of. You are gearbound at 5900 im believing.

Trying a 219 set up will get you NO where other than waste time and money, Turn it less stay on the 14 front driver once you find all you can with gearing, the rest of the speed is in Tires and the little driver holding the wheel Maximizing MOMENTUM which is at the top of the list for making Maximum Speed.

Good Luck !!

I'm with the guys above, you are chasing a gear problem that doesn't exist. With a green plate, obviously your driver is very young and new. Focus on seat time and handling first. Gear it to peak around 5800-6000rpm max and work on everything else. What chassis are you on? If you're on a 15 year old antique and the rest of the field is on new stuff you are going to get outran every time. What tires? How old are they? I coach many new karters at our local track to put the best tires and chassis under their kid as possible. It instills confidence and good handling will make it easy to drive so it takes away their fear. So many new dads go into it thinking " he's just starting out, so I threw these 10 year old bricks on it for seat time, I'll spend money on tires once he's better and I know he's going to stick with it".

Don't be that dad!

Tires
Chassis
Setup
Driving
Motor

In that order!

I'm with the guys above, you are chasing a gear problem that doesn't exist. With a green plate, obviously your driver is very young and new. Focus on seat time and handling first. Gear it to peak around 5800-6000rpm max and work on everything else. What chassis are you on? If you're on a 15 year old antique and the rest of the field is on new stuff you are going to get outran every time. What tires? How old are they? I coach many new karters at our local track to put the best tires and chassis under their kid as possible. It instills confidence and good handling will make it easy to drive so it takes away their fear. So many new dads go into it thinking " he's just starting out, so I threw these 10 year old bricks on it for seat time, I'll spend money on tires once he's better and I know he's going to stick with it".

Don't be that dad!

Tires
Chassis
Setup
Driving
Motor

In that order!
Thanks for the input sir! We are running a 2017 faktor. Maxxis pinks and blues that are 2 races old. Hes on his 2nd year in green plate and has made alot of strides getting better. He placed top 5 in batesville Mississippi in 2018 and top 10 at the jr maxx daddy as well. We just cant seem to figure out if we are having a gear prob or just not setup for that track like we need to be. We made some chassis adjustments tonight and are going to try a little less stagger and see what we can do tomorrow night. Hopefully we can pick up some speed thru the corners

Thanks for the input sir! We are running a 2017 faktor. Maxxis pinks and blues that are 2 races old. Hes on his 2nd year in green plate and has made alot of strides getting better. He placed top 5 in batesville Mississippi in 2018 and top 10 at the jr maxx daddy as well. We just cant seem to figure out if we are having a gear prob or just not setup for that track like we need to be. We made some chassis adjustments tonight and are going to try a little less stagger and see what we can do tomorrow night. Hopefully we can pick up some speed thru the corners
Don't change to much until you prove you were gear bound and you may be off more than you think with that 14/67, Green plate clone here in Pa to turn 5800 on a 1/8th mile Momentum track would be a 15/60 ish, might be surprised what you gain. Were you having any particular handing issues ? If so what ?

Last edited:
Don't change to much until you prove you were gear bound and you may be off more than you think with that 14/67, Green plate clone here in Pa to turn 5800 on a 1/8th mile Momentum track would be a 15/60 ish, might be surprised what you gain. Were you having any particular handing issues ? If so what ?
Ok thanks alot. No handling issues really, I just felt we needed to get thru the corner better and hit a better gear. I have a 17 81 on there now on the 219, it seemed a little faster at test and tune. Wasnt really able to get a good run though cause the track wasnt the best.

I know I was just referencing the fact that our builder wants 6100 out of our it’s happy and fastest at 5800. It’s now always chase the magical dyno rpm number. Different tracks and different drivers like slightly different deals.

Earl is trying to point you in the right direction with gear and rpm. On a green plate, we never used to push it much more than 5600 or we'd run out of steam on the straights. The idea is to gain speed the full length of the straights instead of flattening out especially if it's any kind of momentum track. I really think you're gear bound. If you're up with the leader for a lap or so and he then starts pulling away, that would be a good indication that you're gear bound if everything else on the kart is right. Also, try going up and down a tooth to see if rpms change. On a gear bound kart, they sometimes stay the same cause your wound tight. Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Back