green vs red stripe 10.8

What is the difference between the 10.8 red stripe and the 10.8 green stripe that NR sells? The predator class at a local track requires green and another requires red. Is there a difference other than the paint? This is for a Hemi.

Rumor has it the reds hold up longer BUT, I also understand the reds are illegal and need to be ground to get legal. Not to say that some of the greens aren’t the same way every once in a while. I just took a set of greens out of a customers engine that were in the engine for several races and they were illegal. Those springs are the ones in my NEW tech video. What many don’t realize is if you grind on the spring to get it legal even though it may pass the 10.8/18 lb tool it may fail the coil checking block. This is all explained in the video.

How does 1 10.8 lb spring differ from another 10.8 lb spring or fail a 10.8 lb spring test unless it's not a 10.8 lb spring? Is this not a box stock class?

How does 1 10.8 lb spring differ from another 10.8 lb spring or fail a 10.8 lb spring test unless it's not a 10.8 lb spring? Is this not a box stock class?
It’s not just a 10.8 test, that is the test at an installed height of .815, so the shorter the spring , (grinding, sanding the ends) changes the poundage on the installed height.
trust me.. when you set such rules, builders and manufacturers are going to push the limits to gain performance, that’s why I’m against setting rules specs for these predator OTB class.. within a year you will see widespread builders doing OTB predator engines for $1000 +.... it’s already happening

It’s not just a 10.8 test, that is the test at an installed height of .815, so the shorter the spring , (grinding, sanding the ends) changes the poundage on the installed height.
trust me.. when you set such rules, builders and manufacturers are going to push the limits to gain performance, that’s why I’m against setting rules specs for these predator OTB class.. within a year you will see widespread builders doing OTB predator engines for $1000 +.... it’s already happening
exactly. I had a national builder tell me he could build me a cheated up predator for 800 or I could get one at the track for 150 when I claimed the engine. that's the day I bought a clone. I talked to a national level driver about the rpm people were telling me I should hit was not what a dyno sheet said and he told me that was because my engine was legal. Again on one of the DNQ series races online forth place won because top 3 had cheated up motors and 4th place still thanked his engine guy?!? and engine guy on an OTB class really?

Last edited:
Back