Grip tools ??

Has anyone ever attempted to make a grip tool that measures the grip level of a track? Basically something to give a grip co-efficient to compare different tire packages on a specific surface.

Had an experience last night where my head was telling me to scrap Yellow Vegas and use a Burris. The Vegas have been the ticket for the last couple years at this track, but last night the track was not what it normally is.

I wish I had used the Burris just to at least my opinion.

I've read about a similar deal for FSAE racing. Basically you just want to make some sort of consistent friction surface (so not rubber or something that hardens or softens easily) and then using a spring scale calculate the force necessary to move it a set distance. Problem is I think even if you run all the numbers dirt tracks are so finicky it would be difficult to predict exactly what the track will do since just a small temp or humidity variation can totally change the surface. I am of the belief that the system that can truly dirt predict track surfaces will have to be a conglomerate of multiple data points.

I have a good consistent grip gauge very affordable and multi use , the bottom of my sketchers , front pad of my foot push down as hard as I can and twist it 180 degrees left and right, the more resistance the higher the happy meter reads.
$79.95 two years ago
Similar approach here...I drag my shoes across the racing line backwards (think a fat man doing the moon walk.)
Usually it's my ratty old race track shoes though. Skechers would be my preference for sure if I hadn't already spent all my money on shoes for the karts first.

Even if we could quantify the amount of grip in the track, that amount will change (even during the race.) Your very best data will come from your driver. The crew chief can't do it all on his own, he has to rely on the driver to give him input that will give the driver the confidence he's looking for.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Similar approach here...I drag my shoes across the racing line backwards (think a fat man doing the moon walk.)
Usually it's my ratty old race track shoes though. Skechers would be my preference for sure if I hadn't already spent all my money on shoes for the karts first.

Even if we could quantify the amount of grip in the track, that amount will change (even during the race.) Your very best data will come from your driver. The crew chief can't do it all on his own, he has to rely on the driver to give him input that will give the driver the confidence he's looking for.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Agreed and I'd add get to know your competition and always be checking lap times, and you don't need feedback from only your driver

Even if you found something that worked well , here would be your biggest problem ACCESS to the track surface as often as you would need it as Brian points out to keep up with the changes , then at times even if you were able to use it the track changes that quick by the time you see what ya want, get back to the trailer, find set of tires that matches your reading, bolt them on get to the grid, get on track you'd be a day late and a dollar short , Example here on last Sunday Burris Money Race at 7 Stars in a matter of 10 to 12 min 3 classes during Practice the track gained 3 quarters of a second, which if you had something giving grip level would be a HUGE difference in the reading .

Has anyone ever attempted to make a grip tool that measures the grip level of a track? Basically something to give a grip co-efficient to compare different tire packages on a specific surface.

Had an experience last night where my head was telling me to scrap Yellow Vegas and use a Burris. The Vegas have been the ticket for the last couple years at this track, but last night the track was not what it normally is.

I wish I had used the Burris just to at least my opinion.
I like to keep it simple. I can generally gauge available grip in the track by watching laps times. As the track picks up, I know I want a thinner harder tire although I don't go crazy. Reading the tires, if they have a speed ring on the inside and aren't feathering across the tire, I let it eat and air up a bit.

I like to keep it simple. I can generally gauge available grip in the track by watching laps times. As the track picks up, I know I want a thinner harder tire although I don't go crazy. Reading the tires, if they have a speed ring on the inside and aren't feathering across the tire, I let it eat and air up a bit.
Exactly! Lap times is your grip gauge. Watch them closely and you'll see when the track is transitioning from bad to good and back.. It works 99% of the time and its free!

You gotta be aware with the automatic if lap times getting lower it's always more grip, because there are usually a few that are just really good with prep, so it's a must that you know your competition, take here for example I use a certain lap time on a Friday night to judge if we can get on a never prepped 33s, However that has to be the avg, I can't just go by the top 3 because there are like 3 different guy's that can go 4 th quicker than the rest on prep.

I have a good consistent grip gauge very affordable and multi use , the bottom of my sketchers , front pad of my foot push down as hard as I can and twist it 180 degrees left and right, the more resistance the higher the happy meter reads.
$79.95 two years ago
And they are self calibrating. Portable, Do not take up any room in toolbox.

Back