GS500? Open kart?

Nocero

Has anyone successfully tried a Suzuki gs500?
I know they are quite heavy but make good reliable power.
I picked up a layed down bike cheap to part out but now I’m thinking about trying it out on my kart.
We’re talking 125# at least
51.5 hp at 9500

If it's only 125# that's 8.3 hp per pound with 150 lb driver.
Same thing with a parrila assuming 40 hp is 8.6 hp per #.
That's a lot of weight on rr.

125#'s on right side of kart is going to be a REAL CHALLENGE ..... That's a lot !
Yea I know!
If I could even get it to scale close would the hp make up for the weight?
That’s why I was hoping someone may have tried it I know someone who used a 250 ninja motor with some success but it’s 25-30lb lighter and he is light.
I’m 210#

If you wanted an inexpensive twin cylinder engine the Ninja EX500 would be something to look at. 60hp out of the box, twin cam 8 valve head with plenty of room for improvement. Still would be heavy, but if you're a big driver you would offset the weight or be a rebel and build a left side chassis. That'll get them talking.

I own and ride an EX500. It's a better base engine than the GS500 (more HP.) It's around 50hp at the crank, and is basically an overbored 450, so it's about at its' max for size without serious money and work. Slide carbs would improve it ($$$) or an EFI adaptation from another similar sized twin... The valves are easily adjusted and the bike requires that every 7000 mi. or so for street use, probably more for racing. Clearances DIMINISH with running, so best to check often. It's a nice package on the bike, but putting on a kart and finding a clean exhaust method might be a challenge. They use them for some microsprint classes as local options in some area, so it's possible to find them around in racing trim, but rare. On the plus side, whole bikes can be found for $1200 or so, and you can sell the bike parts back off on that auction site for virtually a free engine... I'd be more inclined to look at sleeving down a Suzuki Savage 650 down to whatever the current max is -- 550cc? It's air/oil cooled so less plumbing, and potentially lighter.... And less exhaust and carb routing issues. But if you do the GS/EX or something else, please post back.... it's nice to see "unconventional" aka "original" thought in UAS. I like 450mx'ers but they're not so original anymore.

zac sold the aprilla! it was a neat engine and he had the thing mountedand raced it one time i believe and sold or traded it! NASA has zac working for them now! very smart and savvy man there!.. i have a n ultra lite w/ a bomberdier ? engine that i am saving fo him! dual bing 54mm carbs-dualplugs and dual magnetos( bore 2.76- bore+64mmstroke i believe (part # 581344 ? all piped up and runnig!w/ a gearbox!
peice of art!

zac sold the aprilla! it was a neat engine and he had the thing mountedand raced it one time i believe and sold or traded it! NASA has zac working for them now! very smart and savvy man there!.. i have a n ultra lite w/ a bomberdier ? engine that i am saving fo him! dual bing 54mm carbs-dualplugs and dual magnetos( bore 2.76- bore+64mmstroke i believe (part # 581344 ? all piped up and runnig!w/ a gearbox!
peice of art!
Zac went from karting, to NASA?? What an unfortunate negative down turn in his career!

Back