GX200 2:1 Reduction gearbox questions

tanmantanner

First post - First build.

I have a GX200, 2:1 reduction gearbox, and a wet clutch. If I am building a street kart with 10in front tires, 11in rear tires, I weigh 170 what would you recommend for the engine and live axle sprocket size? How low can I go with the gear ratio before multiplying it by 2 for the 2:1 reduction? Is it safe to have a 2.5:1 that then turns to a 5:1 and running that? Keeping good acceleration and reaching 20mph would be ideal. I have more questions, but I will wait to see what you all have to say. Any advice is helpful!

First post - First build.

I have a GX200, 2:1 reduction gearbox, and a wet clutch. If I am building a street kart with 10in front tires, 11in rear tires, I weigh 170 what would you recommend for the engine and live axle sprocket size? How low can I go with the gear ratio before multiplying it by 2 for the 2:1 reduction? Is it safe to have a 2.5:1 that then turns to a 5:1 and running that? Keeping good acceleration and reaching 20mph would be ideal. I have more questions, but I will wait to see what you all have to say. Any advice is helpful!

I have several karts - remember the front driver is metric (22mm). We've used 15, 16, 17 tooth fronts with 64 - 68 rears without having the change the chain length.

Back