GX390 RPM's

They were Parsons yes

I got it running and up to around 7k

I had a big problem getting it to rev at all

Come to find out the billet flys don't cooperate with all the new UT2 coils. I got an old UT1 and all was well.

The head was sold and I have a TI valve head coming prepped for alky

The UT2 flywheel when used with a UT1 coil will give your engine about 63 degrees advance if you use the keyway as is. In order to make it work, you need to rotate the flywheel to get about 26 degree of advance (without key). The second option is to use the UT2 unlimited digital coil sold by NR Racing.

The billet flywheels are based off the UT1 motor though

I used the stock UT2 coil and forget about it

Bought the UT2 unlimited coil and forget about it haha

Only thing that worked was a genuine UT1 coil

Some of the UT2 coils will work with the billet flywheels but not all of them. I talked to ARC about this and they confirmed and were planning on noting it on their website.

The non rev limited coil is designed to work with either a UT2 based flywheel, which I am unaware of, or used solely with a stock UT2 flywheel

If the ARC billet flywheel is positioned such that it triggers the UT2 coil at 63 degrees static, it will work. Unfortunately the ARC flywheels are not yet available with an additional keyway machined at 63 degrees. It would make the entire exercise much easier. I made a second keyway on an ARC billet flywheel myself and it worked great with the unlimited coil. Very easy to start too because of the retard at very low RPM's and strong pull at high RPM.

If the ARC billet flywheel is positioned such that it triggers the UT2 coil at 63 degrees static, it will work. Unfortunately the ARC flywheels are not yet available with an additional keyway machined at 63 degrees. It would make the entire exercise much easier. I made a second keyway on an ARC billet flywheel myself and it worked great with the unlimited coil. Very easy to start too because of the retard at very low RPM's and strong pull at high RPM.
This is good info here.

Can confirm. Have done the same thing both on ARC and UT1 stock lightened flywheels, this UT2 coil on gx270 and about 8-9 degrees extra. The gx270 ut2 coil advances from 10* BTDC to 20* BTDC, so we just gave it about 9-10 degrees more on a coil bracket, and holy crap this thing pulls. It's like you think it's going pretty fast down the straight, and the the cam power spot hits, and has perfect timing, this thing just absolutely flies.

gx 390

long rod
two ring piston
40 mm int
33 mm ex
decked flat with piston
68 lb springs on seat
1.3 rockes
364 lift cam
hr tilly big as it will go
timeing 36 degrees alky
makeing some custom valves for next engine