GX390 short skirt/long skirt piston

steve 60

Hello im rebuilding a pre2011 u1 390 with long skirt/2.0mm ring piston. By chance i have a new short skirt 1.2mm thin ring u2 piston & ring in hand. has anyone ever swapped these pistons out? they both feel the same in the cylinder which still looks to have some crasshatch left. both std.

As long as the pin height is the same . Should be fine , weight is a small concern
Pertaining to balance .
I wouldn't worry myself .

As long as the pin height is the same . Should be fine , weight is a small concern
Pertaining to balance .
I wouldn't worry myself .
From the long skirt to the short the crankshaft retained the same part# so did the counter balance Honda must not of seen balance as a concern either. no more then going up a few oversizes on a bore, looks like they just wanted to go to thin rings

The thin rings are an advantage. We replace 99% of the pistons in these engines with aftermarket racing pistons, which ALL use thin rings.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I read about thin rings when they came out in cars. I'm a retired mechanic (oilfield) I saw you advertised haveing takeoff & other parts for honda gx390's after i learn how to use one of these site's i will message you., A little new to computers. but for small engine this is the best way to find parts & information.

I read about thin rings when they came out in cars. I'm a retired mechanic (oilfield) I saw you advertised haveing takeoff & other parts for honda gx390's after i learn how to use one of these site's i will message you., A little new to computers. but for small engine this is the best way to find parts & information.
If you're in need of something, just give us a call at the shop. That's still the best way to get ahold of us. I check messages on here, email, and Facebook generally once in the mornings, and rarely on weekends, but if you're not in a hurry for an answer, those methods will work. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back