gx390/stock.....totally safe rpm

FPS

Hi all,
I'm Pete and own "For Pete's Sake Landscaping". After searching, this forum seems to be the right place for my simple question.
I just bought a new "Little Wonder" leaf blower with a gx390 motor. I'd like to increase the rpm of the motor (within reason) to get more "wind velocity".
Many thanks in advance,
Pete O'Connor

You should be able to manipulate the govenor linkage to gain more RPM, unless it is the newest model engines these are RPM controlled electronically and may need a new coil.

You should be able to manipulate the govenor linkage to gain more RPM, unless it is the newest model engines these are RPM controlled electronically and may need a new coil.

Yes, the throttle arm has a screw stop to set the high end. My concern is, can I raise the rpm from 3,600 to 4,000 without basically reducing the lifespan of the motor??
Thanks,
Pete

My concern is, can I raise the rpm from 3,600 to 4,000 without basically reducing the lifespan of the motor??
I would think 4000 would be fine, no worries. To accurately determine if a slight increase in rpms will or did cause early failure will be tough if not impossible. Keep up with oil changes with good quality oil and keep an eye on the lash and maybe add a magnetic (one) drain plug, just for some possible "insurance".

In South Africa we remove the governor and race the motors up to 5400 rpm and get a full season of racing out of the motor (50 hours excluding practice sessions). A club that also races locally and allows not modification to the motor except governor removal also run similar rpm and race 70 hours a season with no reliability issues. Secret to durability is to change the oil frequently as there is not a filter and a magnetic pick up does not help with aluminum in the oil. Also if you run the higher rpm run a w60 oil as the extra rpm tends to throw more oil into the head than intended if you use the w40 viscosity.

Your viscosity standards must be different than North America a viscosity of 60 is close to a gear oil here.

a magnetic pick up does not help with aluminum in the oil. Also if you run the higher rpm run a w60 oil as the extra rpm tends to throw more oil into the head than intended if you use the w40 viscosity.

Here in the states, there are also non-aluminum parts in the engines. Not all the wear debris is aluminum. Use a magnetic drain plug one time and see what it attracts.

Back