Gyroscope Affect

gyroscopic effect is pretty constant, torque is variable with acceleration and deceleration... Google.....

Did you see the Outrageous Acts of Science video of the body builder TRYING to lift the dumbbell on one end of a bar.
Then Mr. average guy lift it above his head with the dumbbell spinning?

The rotation of the wheels on a bicycle or motorcycle create a gyroscopic affect that is evident when cornering.
The wheels wants to keep going straight.
The Same is true on a kart but to a lesser degree because of the smaller wheels and mass.
I'm wondering what affect the mass of the engine flywheel, crank and clutch may have in impeding the karts ability to turn?:confused:

ponder this, ... or that if you like ... :) Does the spinning of the RF make you want to turn left and the spinning of the left front make you want to turn right? If so, wouldn't it make sense to put a bigger tire on the RF, just because it's bigger? And same with the back? ... :)

I suppose your the only one who doesn't run a lead weight ring, inside the RF tire on the rim?

The gyroscope effect is simply (Newton's law of inertia and mass) rotating mass around a fixed axis, the higher the rpms, the more force it creates. it's what makes a top spins on it tip until air and it's tip friction slows it to a point where it's unbalanced force takes over causing it to topple over, and yes the engine crank, flywheel and clutch rotation on a kart is the largest gyro force to overcome when it comes to cornering (roughly 10 pounds of mass spinning @ around 6,000 rpms, secondly would be the rear axle, tires, wheels, gears, brake rotor, hubs, bearings and chain (even though it's mass it greater than the engine parts, it's spinning about 4 times less rpms, thirdly would be the front tires, wheels, hubs and bearings. The acceleration of rotating weight takes more force than static weight simply because it has to be accelerated about it axis as well as it's static weight (that's why tire manufactures came up with thin cuts). So yes it you think about it, that's why Jr. 3 classes are actually carrying more corner speed than UAS karts with huge crank flywheels such as the Jawa (the gyro effect of these big speedway engines, probably are what helps keeps the speedway drivers out of the fence a lot).

To answer your question, paulkish, neither the spinning of both front tires and wheels make them want to go straight ahead in their current state of motion, ever notice when someone looses a tire and wheel it goes in it's current direction till it hit something.

So yes it you think about it, that's why Jr. 3 classes are actually carrying more corner speed than UAS karts
But of course you're leaving out the fact that the juniors are lighter with pretty close to the same tires.

I don't pretend to know all the intricacies of the dynamics involved, but I wonder, what affect could these dynamic forces have when you take into consideration the total weight of the kart and driver.

When you have a spinning wheel and you apply a turning force, the force reacts 90 degrees in the direction of rotation from the place it was applied. So, your kart flywheel is trying to lift the inside of the kart when you turn. It's called gyroscopic precession.

First off Newton's calculations were correct but he did not understand how the surface speed of a spinning gyro or the spinning rear tires of a staggered solid axle interact with their environment. He was no better and no different from engineers today trying to put numbers to things as proof, when simple understanding of function is all which is needed.

If you look at the video pointed out to us years ago, it's obvious where Newton goes wrong and how engineers of today go wrong when trying to explain simple concepts, they do not grasp correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gdTQwbAXz0

If proper calculations were done instead of useless calculations to relate mass and speed to an axis, the real picture might be seen. All which needs to be know about the spinning gyro is how the spin speed relates to how far above or below a right angle to the pivot point the unit sits. The action up and down directly relates to how rear tire surface speed relates to the track it's riding on or in other words slip and grip of the tire. It should be obvious to everyone by now as it's so simple and obvious to me. The outer surface of the gyro is interacting, slipping and gripping with gravity, exactly the same as the outer surface of a rear tire slips and grips with the track. The spinning gyro is riding up on gravity which is constant and fixed, and around a pivot point which in its case is the string connection or the screw connection. It's exactly the same with a RR tire being able to ride ahead around the fixed anchor or braking action provided by the LR, because of how it's slipping and gripping.

In a nut shell theory always wins out viewing truth over calculating engineers viewing numbers placed on truths, yet incorrect in concept. Engineering math relates to an engineer trying to put wrinkles in the beauty of an architects demonstration of concept. Engineers are not there to define, prove or disprove concept, there only there and needed to find ways to help bring concept into reality. If an engineer cannot make material and numbers fit the created concept, the concept doesn't need changing, the engineers need to better their craft.

edit: think I'll get that second cup of coffee now.

The Roman's were a 1000+ years ahead of Newton, a simple engineer rediscovering what was lost. Below shows evidence of stagger being used racing chariots. I'd bet they put the fastest horses on the outside of the turn too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...ved=0ahUKEwjg77Gq1JPNAhVJXVIKHes4AUUQ_AUIBigB

Did the "Chariots of the Gods" use stagger?

answer: I think so, how else could the travel round the universe.

edit: Yes Al, the fastest horses being on the outside did slow them down on the straights.

That was until they realized they could put special shoes on the out side horses to make them slip a little on the straights, relying on horse weight gain in the turn to get them to out run the inside horses. ... :)

Last edited:
NO!!!!

My thought is to mount the engine with the crank parallel with the frame not perpendicular to it.
I know this complicates coupling to the rear wheels but that issue can be solved with a differential.
I'm probably not smart enough to even think about this but,,,,
Your theory of installing the crankshaft perpendicular to the direction of travel so it would lessen the force needed to turn the kart right?
Then wouldn't those same forces want to keep the kart turning when it reached the apex? You know, about the time your want the turning to end? Definitely not saying your wrong, just throwing a stick in your spokes :)

Back