Happy Veterans Day

Army 66-67 drafted took my chances because if I didn't like it I was done in 2 years and If I liked it I could always make it longer. Turned down chance in Boot Camp when asked if I'd like to go to Warrant Officers School and fly helicopters. Only reason to turn it down was I would have had to sign up for 4 years to go to the school. But that was me and my decisions and forced direction via draft.

Back then you either got drafted for 2 years with a likely hood of going to Viet Nam, were in College, were married with kids, signed up 3 years regular Army for choice of school or first duty station, signed up 4 years for choice of school and first duty station, got in a National Guard or Reserve, joined Navy Airforce or Coast Guard to hopefully stay out of it or because of personal choice, or went to Canada. What many of those who signed up for 3 or4 years didn't realize was a tour of duty was 18 months and sure they gave you your first tour of duty but after that your next tour could still be in Viet Nam.

Huge difference today.
When I got out you didn't talk about it much because much or most of the time you'd be spat on verbally for going even if drafted. Went to Applebee's last night and they totally made my wife and I feel welcome. Meal and a beer at Applebee's last night on them and sub sandwich and drink lunch yesterday at Scheetz on the house.

Sad feeling last night on the way home after realizing the Vets there seemed to be either younger then me or older then me.
Sadly we thought maybe so so many Viet Nam vets are gone or not able to go out to Applebee's because of death or injury in Viet Nam or have died because of contact with Agent Orange.

I lucked out and went to Germany and even in Germany I know personally many Soldiers died in Germany because I inputted their accidental death reports into the Army's computers. Each month there were around 30 or more accidential military deaths in Europe most all because of roll overs in M151 Jeeps. The reports seldom mentioned anything but they were traveling 30mph on a straight road, went off the road and rolled over. I don't think M151's could take a flat curve at 30mph without rolling over but that was not what I was given to input.

Thank you all for your tax money which supported me two years and trained me for my life long career in data processing and into repairing data stuff, which fed me and my family my whole life.

Our military not only defends our country with all the horrors that go along with it, it also helps train our countries military personal to hopefully become future productive and honorable citizens.

Last edited:
Back