Harbor Freight 212 Ghost

Mark @ EC

It's no longer a rumor. https://www.harborfreight.com/brand...orizontal-shaft-kart-racing-engine-57531.html
57531_W3.jpg
Looks like the Ducar 212 and Tillotson 212E with a PZ-20 Carburetor. We've heard it's been tested with a rev limited coil. Could this be the engine to reset the LO206 and Box Stock Classes?

The biggest problem with China will save karting was pointed out when people started racing the HF engines boils down to one simple fact........

Second place SUCKS.

I remember back in the late 2000's all the new hf racers saying "oh it's so cheap and this is how it will be from now on". How much are you guys paying for Honda knock off racing engines now?

Ho ho ho ha ha . I remember the driver saying we can mop up in this class .
He didn't care about my money . :ROFLMAO:

They're on their 4th extension request for trademark. They better hurry up and figure out how to insert QC into their build because they only have one extension request left.

The biggest problem with China will save karting was pointed out when people started racing the HF engines boils down to one simple fact........

Second place SUCKS.

I remember back in the late 2000's all the new hf racers saying "oh it's so cheap and this is how it will be from now on". How much are you guys paying for Honda knock off racing engines now?
$149.00

Definitely a PZ-20 carb. Looks like the extra $ gets you a top plate, an upper side cover oil fill and no gas tank. I'm not seeing a lot of value for an extra $150 so far. Depends on what's inside I guess. We'll see when they arrive.

Ducar 212 $220 or Tillotson 212E $238 (Since that's what the Ghost 212 looks like its a better comparison than the Predator 224)
+ PZ Carburetor and Intake $50-100
+ Top Plate $15-20
+ Rev Limited Coil If it's just an analog Coil $15-20 or if it's like the Tillotson or Briggs PVL $250 or more.

At Minimum that $300 If you bought the parts to build this engine. Or it could be as high as $608

It looks like the Sidecover is different. It has an oil fill on top vs. the sides. Another benefit would be no mechanical governor and probably no low oil sensor, so it's less work to modify.

The Predator 212 Hemi and Non-Hemi, Ducar, and Tillotson 212E look like they are replaced by one engine. They took the best of both, Harbor Freights Low Prices and Distribution and the better engine from Ducar, and modified it a step above the rest. Most Predator OTB Classes have rpm limits in the rules, so the engine is suited to support current class rules. Their 224 is probably a contingency in case racers choose to support it instead, no replacement for displacement, which it has an advantage over most engines in the market. Regardless of the argument, more Predators are raced across the country than all the clones and other 212 combined.

It's half the price of the Briggs LO206 and probably has around the same power. Briggs is having supply issues, and the clones are only getting better. They pushed the Animal out of the dirt and left Briggs left open for another engine to enter the sprint market.

If they get the program going, we could see the Predator/Clone/Ghost go under one rule set like the Briggs LO206. I would like to see someone argue that having two or more different rule sets is good for karting. Pretty much was the first comment is more dilution, but I see the opposite. I see one engine across all types of 4-cycle karting going to one engine and one "stock" ruleset. Release the engine 6-8 months before 2023 to get advertised and organized. We could go back to the class structures like the Flathead with super stock, limited and open to make proper diversifications rather than 50 similar stock classes.

I wrote a lengthy blog on our website that goes into more thoughts and details. https://www.eccarburetors.com/blog.asp

Just my .02 but we're taking the idea seriously.

Its great for the plug and play crowd . Even racers who want to run a box stock/ OTB class.
Too many rule sets muddy the waters .
Something with some longevity would be great .
Lo206 is great at triple the cost and current avalibility issue.

That was a good read on the blog Mark. Looks like they scrubbed the link to the Ghost for now. Not surprised, they did the same thing with the 224 just before they were at the stores. I agree 100%, if Harbor Freight gets on board, they'd benefit greatly for sure.

Back