Harbor Freight 212 Ghost

without a weight class you would be destroyed by fearless 14 yr olds. it would be a jockeys sport. just take a look at 330 vs 375 or 375 vs 425 lap times.

without a weight class you would be destroyed by fearless 14 yr olds. it would be a jockeys sport. just take a look at 330 vs 375 or 375 vs 425 lap times.
Lol, so no weight rules some how ignores ages rules now?

This just epitomizes how easily people blow things out of proportion....
Pretty sure this holds true for most dirt series around the nation. Weights might not be correct for your region, but this is WKA National ages and weights I believe.
Junior 1 8-10 275lbs
Junior 2 10-12 290lbs
Junior 3 12-15 320lbs
Amateur 15-up 375lbs
Clone Medium 15-up 350lbs
Semi Pro 15-up 375lbs
Clone Heavy 15-up 375lbs
Super Heavy 15-up 425lbs
All Pro 15-up 390lbs
And, I'll add that JR UAS is 15-17, UAS is 18+.

Last edited:
if you go to open engine it will end up one engine. we allow NKA and AKRA engines down here. Take a guess how many NKA engines you see? people will gravitate to whatever has an advantage. I can see people like tillotson and dynocams constantly making small changes to gain an edge and you will be shelling out for a new motor chasing the flavor of the month.
Not sure if you realize that a driver on an NKA engine picked up 3 Championships at your local track last season. We run both NKA and AKRA and don't find a significant advantage either way. It's long been said that an average engine with great tires will out run a great engine with average tires. I agree that there will be people wanting to chase the flavor of month. Typically you won't find those people consistently at the front of the pack. Look at the mini gear. Some of the winners are running them while others are not.

I would like to see a platform similar to the LO206 take off at the dirt tracks in my region. If the 212 Ghost is the option that becomes available, and other racers in the area take to it, I'm on board.
We could go back to the class structures like the Flathead with super stock, limited and open to make proper diversifications rather than 50 similar stock classes.
I started getting into karting as the FH was phasing out and the clone was gaining popularity. Am I understanding that there were 4 engine options (box stock, super stock, limited, and open) along with different weight classes for some of these platforms?

Yep, all those you listed do have A weight rule, not rules.
Yeah, you're right. We could knock down to one or two weight rules and probably wouldn't change anything. But, that is not what you suggested at first. You suggest no weight rules at all, totally different scenario.

Not sure if you realize that a driver on an NKA engine picked up 3 Championships at your local track last season. We run both NKA and AKRA and don't find a significant advantage either way. It's long been said that an average engine with great tires will out run a great engine with average tires. I agree that there will be people wanting to chase the flavor of month. Typically you won't find those people consistently at the front of the pack. Look at the mini gear. Some of the winners are running them while others are not.

I would like to see a platform similar to the LO206 take off at the dirt tracks in my region. If the 212 Ghost is the option that becomes available, and other racers in the area take to it, I'm on board.

I started getting into karting as the FH was phasing out and the clone was gaining popularity. Am I understanding that there were 4 engine options (box stock, super stock, limited, and open) along with different weight classes for some of these platforms?
When we ran flathead engines the common classes were Purple, Blue, and Gold plate for kids.
Then there was Light 325, Medium 350, and Heavy, 375, Super Heavy at 400.
Super stock 350 or 375 one or the other, not both.
Limited at 350-375 one or the other, not both.
Then very seldom you had SBO, not sure what weights they ran at.
So at MAX, you had 10 classes for the day. And more often than not you had 6-8 classes total for Sat night events. Hell, if you go to a race that has under 20 classes in the South East, you're at a back yard track these days.

the classes were stock flathead 305 lite 335 medium 360 heavy and 400 super heavy driver must weigh 200LBS. Limited SS and Open were all 335 weight class.
As for that driver he would have special motors just for the points races and bought and sold motors rather than have them rebuilt. I don't know what he ran and when against who. could be he used the NKA motor on an average night he could win easily and bring out his "special motors' when needed that said I don't trust what everybody claims at a kart track.

Only saw a couple SS races as Limited was more popular. Never saw an open motor unless there was a championship or serious money on the line as those motors were expensive and didn't always live.

There are just way to many classes.
weight classes are good different engines are bad in my opinion. Most people would not be able to compete in karts without a weight rule. Back in the day 335 was the biggest class. now its heavy. you would see a lot more people racing horses if there were weight classes.

It might be worth looking at a weight rule/weight break in the clone divisions to make one class. Or the old you win the race this week you have to add 10 lbs next week idea then have a weight reset each month or mid season.

Saw a Kohler XKE win races over some of the top UAS engine packages simply because of the weight break it got. The uas rules all boil down to third grade math..... XXX cc x XX lbs equals your weight crossing the scales.

With a weight break a 196 can compete with a 212 if the people making the rules give a damn about the division/sport without considering what it will do for their personal results but then again I am dumb enough to still have faith in my fellow man

Appearing in the wild now, not my video. Looks to have an electronic coil limited to 6000RPM.
Carb is a 22mm Mikuni copy called "Dekni"

Last edited:
Back