Harbor Freight trash pump problems

Bought it 3 weeks ago--worked good--got where it was slow to establish water flow ---now won't pump at all--pumping clean pond water--no mud , rocks etc. Primed it every time according to directions. Frustrating situation--- and yes I know it is a HF product but I thought it would last longer than about 15 runs. Engine (212 Predator) runs great----called "customer service" lots of hoops to jump through. Just a rant--forgive me. John

Bought it 3 weeks ago--worked good--got where it was slow to establish water flow ---now won't pump at all--pumping clean pond water--no mud , rocks etc. Primed it every time according to directions. Frustrating situation--- and yes I know it is a HF product but I thought it would last longer than about 15 runs. Engine (212 Predator) runs great----called "customer service" lots of hoops to jump through. Just a rant--forgive me. John
Most likely the ceramic seal behind the impeller is damaged.
This usually happens if the pump is ran (at all) without water. The flat faced seal needs water to lubricate itself. If the ceramic gets hot, it burns up the rubber that seals ceramic to the shaft and housing.
Happens where I work all the time.

While you are there, check distance from impeller to volute. Needs to be less than 1/16 inch.

Most likely the ceramic seal behind the impeller is damaged.
This usually happens if the pump is ran (at all) without water. The flat faced seal needs water to lubricate itself. If the ceramic gets hot, it burns up the rubber that seals ceramic to the shaft and housing.
Happens where I work all the time.

While you are there, check distance from impeller to volute. Needs to be less than 1/16 inch.
I saw this thread. my brother in law wants to use the predator from a HF trash pump on a minibike. I can't remove the impeller. the nut holding it on won't loosen with impact wrenches. any suggestions?

Hmmm

Might be a reason to quote the question being answered if not the last question asked.

The original question is from 10/20.
Might have missed out on answering that one.

Just saying.
2 posters with 2 different problems

Last edited:
Back