Hard starting 5hp funmotor

leoofc

Have a 5hp Briggs funmotor that starts very hard.When you choke it , it doesn't seem to suck up the gas hard enough. If you put your palm over the intake with air cleaner off it will draw up fine. The hole in the choke plate seems to be causing this. Any suggestions? What is the setting for the air screw?

When was the diaphragm changed last ?
1-1.5 should get it started , adjust for idle smoothness .
Dirty jet or corrosion , unfortunately its in the tank .

Is the carb base gasket and intake gasket in good shape? Diaphragm replacement never hurts either. Does it prime up easier if you blow in the gas cap?

You can not blow in a funpower carb like the standard raptor stlye it vents through the air horn . You have a 1-1/2 opening to cover after removing the cap .

my bad I read over it being a FUN POWER engine an just thought it was fun motor as in non racing just a play around deal. Yeah they had the goofy flat cap with tangs.

29.95 for a fun power carb complete .
Funny the parts diagrams never show the factory screen that covers the lower main jet .

Fresh gas? I had my kids wash the yard kart one day wouldn't start hardly even with starting fluid after that. New plug and gas and good to go

Thanks for the replies.When I first installed the motor on the minibike I had the tank off cleaned the jet and put in a new diaphragm and added fresh gas.This is why its so puzzling.You could pull the cord forever and it would not start. If you cover the air cleaner intake with a piece of card material it will start in about 8 pulls. Then it will start normally for the rest of the day. I will eventually pull the tank again and maybe spring for a new carb if I cant fix the problem.I did see the fun power carbs go very cheap. Not like the raptor style that go for $$$. At a party the other day we ran my fun gokart and the minibike.One pull for the gokart 8 for the minibike-an average of four pulls- not too bad. It still may be a bad diaphragm and thanks again for the replies.

Make sure that you got the spring and cup behind the diaphragm in the right order too.
Install spring, then cup, then diaphragm.
It helps to surface the diaphragm cover plate a bit too to make sure that it is sealing well.This diaphragm is your fuel pump - it must work correctly.
I just sold a used fun power carb and tank to a walk-in customer for $5 -- I've got another one sitting here if you need, but he got the prettier one of the two. :)

Back