Hard to steer

I have a 2017 prowler racing on 3/8 asphalt track with speeds up 90MPH. My motor is strong, but My Kart takes everything I got to steer in the corners. It’s fine around 50MPH, but after that, almost impossible. I scaled out around 52% on cross weight. 102 LF 82 RF 123 LR 79 LR. I think if I remember right. The guys I race aganist steering turns like butter in the corners. I am not sure if it’s pushing or not because it so hard to turn. I got really loose from the center and off and about crashed a couple of times. Probably from the tightness of the kart. I am using a 450 LF 600 Rf, LR, and RR blue maxxis tires at 10 PSI. I am faster than everyone on the straightaway but 1.7 seconds off the pace in the corners. Need help! Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 prowler racing on 3/8 asphalt track with speeds up 90MPH. My motor is strong, but My Kart takes everything I got to steer in the corners. It’s fine around 50MPH, but after that, almost impossible. I scaled out around 52% on cross weight. 102 LF 82 RF 123 LR 79 LR. I think if I remember right. The guys I race aganist steering turns like butter in the corners. I am not sure if it’s pushing or not because it so hard to turn. I got really loose from the center and off and about crashed a couple of times. Probably from the tightness of the kart. I am using a 450 LF 600 Rf, LR, and RR blue maxxis tires at 10 PSI. I am faster than everyone on the straightaway but 1.7 seconds off the pace in the corners. Need help! Thanks.
wrong tires in the wrong spot. widest 2 tires on the right side should be 8.10 on 10 inch wide wheels, left front is fine, and the rf goes on the lr

Your numbers are wrong, the LR should be the heaviest on the kart. Unless you mean the 79 is RR. If that is the case, that puts nose at about 47.7 which is too much, good place to start.

Last edited:
The racers there are telling me they run 75% cross. I tried using a 450 on left rear in the heat race with a 600 on the right rear which is what they are using there.. My steering input never changed. Still hard to steer, but it made the back out of control.

Where do I need my weight to be? More on the left side LF and a LR? It’s hard for to scale out because I am already 29 pounds over the 350 limit.

The racers there are telling me they run 75% cross. I tried using a 450 on left rear in the heat race with a 600 on the right rear which is what they are using there.. My steering input never changed. Still hard to steer, but it made the back out of control.
The 2 widest tires are the right side tires, the left side tires should both be the 4.50, sounds as if those guys are pulling your leg.

Like RP asked above, start with your front end settings, caster and camber is where it all begins, along with toe.
Your tires sizes should be what XXX stated, 10" wheels on the rights (12X9.00-6 tires) and 6 or 6.5" on the lefts (10.5X4.50-6 tires)
I'd be a 1 to 2# split on air from left to rights with about 1-1/4" stagger in the front and 1" in the rear.
Setup wise id be more partial to 46.5-46.8 nose, 58-59 left and 58ish cross.
Don't worry about being 25# over, its not a big deal. You can move the seat and motor around to help with numbers.

I am being told to have more weight on the right front and left rear. Is this correct?
Yes that is correct. your left rear will always be the heaviest, then right front, left front and right rear for dirt and asphalt ovals.
There are exceptions to that but lets concentrate on your kart first.

I punched your numbers in from the first post:
Total: 386
Nose: 47.67
Left: 58.29
Cross: 53.11

Which are darn close to our indoor concrete syrup starting numbers lol.

I punched your numbers in from the first post:
Total: 386
Nose: 47.67
Left: 58.29
Cross: 53.11

Which are darn close to our indoor concrete syrup starting numbers lol.
That is what concerns me. My Kart should not be that off. You have to be a body builder to turn the wheel at speed.

Your basic set up is AFU. At those speeds do not go back until you start with a reasonable basic setup. If you do not have the tools to know where your caster / camber is, race some place slower. Buy a set of tires 4.50 on both lefts and 8:10 on the rights. I have never seen an asphalt track where Vegas were not the tire of choice. Call Prowler for their recommendation on set up for your track.
Post where you are racing. 90 mph on your ridiculous set up scares the heck out of me.

Your basic set up is AFU. At those speeds do not go back until you start with a reasonable basic setup. If you do not have the tools to know where your caster / camber is, race some place slower. Buy a set of tires 4.50 on both lefts and 8:10 on the rights. I have never seen an asphalt track where Vegas were not the tire of choice. Call Prowler for their recommendation on set up for your track.
Post where you are racing. 90 mph on your ridiculous set up scares the heck out of me.
You should see my video. Also concrete walls where I got loose.

Back