Have you ever driven on the edge or just your edge?

paulkish

old fart
I've experienced what I felt was putting a 4 wheel vehicle to/on it's edge.

I've also experienced what I felt was putting a 4 wheel vehicles performance to my physical capability and edge.

One is total control and the other is ... I want to say fear but it's more like not really knowing if you are, if your in any ability to control, beyond it, ride along, in limbo, ... ya all know what I'm trying to explain but can't ... don't ya ?

... it's not about adrenalin so there must be some other brain chemical involved?

... do ya know what I'm trying to say?

... It's a state of mind I've never read about but dang have experienced what I can't explain?

... It's not the rush of racing

... It's just something else.

... ?

was fun to thunk bout and write anyway. ... :)

proly a nuther one of them dumb posts ... huh?

Its confidence that makes the difference. The confident driver really doesnt think about it, just does it because he knows he can. The guy doing it in fear and is mentally dissecting the moment is more likely to be the one in danger. Sometimes it doesnt work out for the first guy, sometimes it does work for the second guy.

Yes both 2 & 4 wheel . The two wheeler was a modified rr bike . I headed into the turn full on . All I saw was the edge of the road getting closer and closer . Till We rolled into the ditch . Broken collar bone on that one .:)

TR6. would spin out . The 58 Oldsmobile didn't make the corner . . :ROFLMAO:
Apparently I have less talent then sense .

Last edited:
A lot of people do this when it's wet roads on the verge of freezing, they run out of talent and the fear hits when they enter onto the bridge surface that has a curve in it.

Think about sprint car racers on dirt. They enter the corner at or about at wide open and running the cushion. Intention is to put the RR tire exactly at the edge of the berm. Go in too hot and youve jumped the berm and got in too hot possibly getting the car upside down. Go in too low and just being slower. Lap after lap with no second thoughts of what could happen if the RR missed its mark. They just do it. Sometimes it ends badly but never do they second guess their decision. Theyve done it thousands of times and know theyre gonna make it and probably pass the safer route drivers without worrying about the outcome. Same goes with any drivers, commuting on snow or running a main event somewhere.

The difference between the very good drivers and the best is exactly that, that they seem to be driving in a way that would be on the edge or even further but they are still under control and have margin to drive faster if needed. That was what made Michael Schumacher the best and drivers like Fernando Alonso so good. They always keep some pace they only use when needed, and that pace is way far from what is the edge for the rest of us mortals.

I cant remember who said this. Hopefully someone will help me out, but it was a very talented racer and it goes along the lines of:

"I never entered a corner that I was 100% sure i was going to make it out of."

To me, he was racing on the edge of the vehicle, and had talent left to spare.

Back