have you ever messed with or seen a plastic carb?

my father in law got a brand new pulan mower given to him a year ago as a gift. well, the one he had finally crapped out so he pulled the new one out of the box to cut the lawn. gassed and oiled it and it wont go so he called me to try and find the problem. pushing the primer button dosent do anything. usually you hear that faint sound of gas getting pulled into the carb but all you hear is air. i thought there might be a piece of somthing in the carb from the factory so i pulled the air cleaner off only to find it has a plastic carb!! its so expensive to make and install a carb made of metal that actually works?

when i pulled it apart i found it was a very simple design which is nice. it just has a float, needle and a jet. no other extra stuff to go wrong. i cleaned it out and blew all the holes out with air and re-installed it. still wont fire and still sounds the same when you push the primer ball. i checked for a vapor lock and made sure the float was working correctly. the bowl fills with fuel and shuts off like it should. if i pour a little fuel down the carb it will run fine. i tried manually choking it and it still wont pull fuel. anybody have any ideas on what is wrong besides its junk?

I once had a carb. for a mower that had a float bowl with adj. needle on the bottom, wouldn't even try to start until gas was poured in carb open end, turned out hole was never drilled from jet hole into venture, easy fix, once found.

If the problem is the carb and you need one, try going to a sears store and finding a mower or something else with the same plastic carb. Then get the model number from the mower, go online and order a replacement carb. The plastic carb should be less then $100, well below the price of a new mower.

Those carbs are junk, dont even worry about changing the diaphragms, just buy a new one they are like 25 bucks.

If it is a Briggs plastic carb it is really quite good, for it's purpose. They don't corrode and crap cleans right of of them.

my ol lawn boy has a plastic carb.
possibly primer hose has a leak.
blow in or pressurize fuel see if fuel flows like a flathead.

local small engine repair shop may have one laying around cheap too.. And those mowers like old 2-cycle racing gas...hehe

thanks for all the replies. i dont think the flathead method will work considering it has the fuel bowl. it shuts the fuel off to the tank once its full. mabie ill look inside where the needle is to see if the hole is drilled. if it isnt, what size drill would i use

Double check and see that the fuel hose does not have any holes or splits in it. I know your father got it in new condition but how old it is (even new) has a bearing on the condition of the fuel line. If all seems good, pitch the carb and get another one. They're not worth messing with. JMHO

Back