Having some problems . Can a flywheel go bad ?

Good day . I have a built motor , i changed the pvl flywheel which broke . And I replaced it with a ARC 6618 .and ran super good .lots of power .i had the coil gaped at 40 i think . Eather way i ran 3 sessions of 12 laps 1 min each lap ,and ran strong . At the end of the last lap i was getting some stuttering and misfire . And thats how i finished the race , with misfiring and stuttering . Today i went to trouble shoot the engine . I replaced the carb . sparkplug, ignition coil , checked the goil gap . Checked the valve lash ,My degree was good since it adjustable flywheel , still the misfire and backfire some .dont know what else, can a flywheel go bad ?

Last edited:
You can shear the key. Does a screwdriver stick to the magnet pretty good? Fuel pump and lines ok? Check the head gasket?

Last edited:
You can shear the key. Does a screwdriver stick to the magnet pretty good? Fuel pump and lines ok? Check the head gasket?
Yea , the magnet seems good , i re gapped the coil , and torqued the head bolts again .all seems fine . It looks something to do with the timing , again I didn't remove the flywheel , lets hope its that .

I have found that the minimum gap on an ARC flywheel is .040 Minimum!!! Most people that I know and the setting that I use is usually .045 to .050. The magnets are stronger and can over-saturate the coil. Causing a skip like you describe.

I have found that the minimum gap on an ARC flywheel is .040 Minimum!!! Most people that I know and the setting that I use is usually .045 to .050. The magnets are stronger and can over-saturate the coil. Causing a skip like you describe.
The thing is it ran perfectly thr whole day . With the setup it had . Than in the latest race laps it started misfiring and stuttering , i just cant figure it out . Like i said i swaped everything exept the flywheel.still does the same .

The flywheel key seems good in place .the wheel came smooth off . No signs of miss alignment , I'm running without the wire to the switch,think thats an issue ?

Attachments

• IMG20220913095338.jpg
    IMG20220913095338.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG20220913095253.jpg
    IMG20220913095253.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG20220913095854.jpg
    IMG20220913095854.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 91
I just swapped the flywheel,with a PVL .and it does the same thing . It starts idles,but when when throttling it stals and misfires,very strange .i swaped carburator, i swapped the coil , swapped sparkplugs ,fuel pump is good .pumps good , valve lashes are good .checked head bolts and re torqued , what ells

Maybe both the coils you have are bad. Same plug boot? Did you clean the grounding points? Tightening the head bolts won't fix a blown gasket if that's what it is.

I have had similar problems in the past after chasing timing and coils it turned out that it was a carburetor issue that mimic timing. Also I have had the same symptoms as your describing with a bad spark plug also seemed like timing but was a bad plug

I have had similar problems in the past after chasing timing and coils it turned out that it was a carburetor issue that mimic timing. Also I have had the same symptoms as your describing with a bad spark plug also seemed like timing but was a bad plug
The donor motor that a took parts off ran good before , no issues , i swapped almost everything on the motor with the symptoms, and still no luck , i disassembled the whole motor. Flywheel key was intact . Cam was aligned. Just cant figure it out . Maybe my luck that both ignition coil ,sparkplug went bad . When i get my new parts will reassemble the motor with new coil and plugs .and with a Clean carb. .will keep posted !

dis you look at the piston and rings ? Stuck ring cn cause that or a bad valve seat IE: Loose .
No i checked that to . Piston rings was free and good condition , and no valve leaks . I even tried a different flywheel, a PVL on stock degree. And did the same misfire and stuttering,. Swapped 2 different carbs. And complete Coil and wire , and plugs , im just hoping when i reassemble it ,the problem goes away 🙈🙈🙈 😂😂😂

Back