Hay bales parking lot track. Need covers

I have a oval setup in a big parking lot. Right now road course guys race there with cones, but for oval it just ain't happening. We purchased hay bales. I remeber seeing hay bales covered in plastic material. I've also seen the wrapper with logos on them. Anybody know where to get these? Or what's best to wrap them?

American Power Sports used to have them. Not sure now though. How about some of the big black trash bags?

If all else fails go to homedepot and get plastic sheeting and duct tape from the paint aisle. It won't look the best but it will be effective.

Why not band some tires together side-by-side laying on their sides? Make groups of 3-4 so they're not too heavy and use the nylon banding stuff? Should be more weather resistant and not much more damage -- hay bends spindles and cracks bodywork imo. and tires don't explode when you hit them. lol just stack the tires on a harbor freight flatbed when done and tarp 'em to keep the mosquito population down... Also, hay is $8/bale around here whereas old tires can be had for free....

Maybe you could cut some plastic barrels in half and band them together with strips of tire. Haybales are kart magnets plus if any of that hay gets on the racing surface see ya later that stuff is slicker than oil.

Thanks guys. Tires I can try to get, hay bales are 3$ each figured 60 of them would be plenty. Then just wrap some up at the exit of corners where karts might bash them.

Go to www.rockymountainatvmc.com and in the search window type in hay bale covers and you will see what they have.... They have the RMATV logo on them but the cover are only $3.49 each.... Motocrossgiant has them also with the Kawasaki logo but they are $8.50 a pop, a little more expensive... Hope this helps:).........

If you have a farm supply store in the area check out round bale wrap--this is a heavy Saran wrap type product used to wrap high moisture round bales to produce silage. John

The other thing I hate about hay is that once it's impacted or if it's older than 2 weeks it starts to disintegrate and becomes problematic to lift or move around and there's a large mess... But maybe I just hate hay because I used to manage an English riding stable...lol

I remember the issues with hay bales at FIA/CIK street races when running ICA (direct drives). Hay on the track on those hot summer days with those soft sticky tires and the oil from 2 cycles made lead to interesting situations at braking points before turns, specially considering we used brakes to make karts turn, and with direct drive we actually used to stop the engine for a short lapse of time so grip was kind of necessary so it could restart itself. It was fun though. I used to replace my alluminum tie rods by home made nylon ones cut to right length, used to have spare at different lengths for different setups, and using them even if they could flex more and change setup at least wouldn´t brake when touching a hay bale as was common. It was such a great feeling, dangerous, yes, but felt great having huge crowds watching and pretty ladies coming after race was over since most times we ran during local festivals. Guess I was younger... well, just a little younger, lol.

There is 'truth' in all the above and 'most' of it 'ain'-cheap'. USE GO-KART Tires!! It's a whole lot of work (because it takes so many of them) but they are 'plentiful' and can be put too good use rather than being stacked in the barns, shop corners and landfills (and worse)! For your application, I wud think 'bundles' of 3 or 4 high and a (3) deep 'triangle' sud work very will while not making a mess (haybales) inflicting minimal kart damage and...last 4ever!! The 'array' of the bundles wud still be light enough for most people too handle can be stored/xported fairly simply....JMO (I have done them on a small indoor oval-skid track)

I remember the issues with hay bales at FIA/CIK street races when running ICA (direct drives). Hay on the track on those hot summer days with those soft sticky tires and the oil from 2 cycles made lead to interesting situations at braking points before turns, specially considering we used brakes to make karts turn, and with direct drive we actually used to stop the engine for a short lapse of time so grip was kind of necessary so it could restart itself. It was fun though. I used to replace my alluminum tie rods by home made nylon ones cut to right length, used to have spare at different lengths for different setups, and using them even if they could flex more and change setup at least wouldn´t brake when touching a hay bale as was common. It was such a great feeling, dangerous, yes, but felt great having huge crowds watching and pretty ladies coming after race was over since most times we ran during local festivals. Guess I was younger... well, just a little younger, lol.
Oh yeah! Bring back those good-old 'racing days'...:)

tires are good if you stack and band them together then get old discarded 30" conveyor belts to attach in front of them , old conveyor belts are usually free if you ask around .

Back