HBHC vs LBLC

I’ve read a lot on here about High bite track need high cross kart setup. Low bite track gets low cross kart setup.

Can someone explain the dynamics of why that is the case? I don’t understand enough to visualize it.

Think of it like this and this may not be 100 % correct from an engineering side, but it will help you relate and makes sense, set up wise the closer the cross is to the left %, the more it will burry the tire into the track, the further the cross is away from the left % the more the tire will run on top of the surface.

When my drivers say the kart is handling great. And there real comfortable we suck mid pack, when there complaining a little karts off and there little uncomfortable were up front and winning some, I gotta tell them deal with it and they should like being fast the most.

Hmmmm… when my kart is sliding around and I’m fighting the wheel I’m slow when I can put the kart where I want it I’m fast.

i'm not sure i can describe it but when you nail everything, tires, gear, set up etc the kart doesn't feel uncomfortable it feels unstoppable. When i hear the term 'kart was on rails' i know exactly what they are talking about. i feel for anyone who has not experienced that. it's quite a high.

Ok..
This is not something to help me setup our kart. I have a hard time adjusting the kart because “someone told me to”. I’m just wanting to understand it.

I’m trying to understand the concept of how low bite needs low cross and vise versa.

Why do low bite tracks need more LF and RR?

The low cross utilizes the lft frt and rr more .
Staticaly they are loaded more which leaves more on each tire after transfer .

i'm not sure i can describe it but when you nail everything, tires, gear, set up etc the kart doesn't feel uncomfortable it feels unstoppable. When i hear the term 'kart was on rails' i know exactly what they are talking about. i feel for anyone who has not experienced that. it's quite a high.
I can relate to this statement, as Ive won races on my kart when she was hard to handle and it isnt the same as when Ive got Lucky and had all my stuff right at once. I can say too that I have close to lapped a field on an ill handling kart on a heavy track, and on a Smooth track I had my Kart on Rails and Love that feeling too. I kinda drive my kart the way it needs for the track conditions and sometimes I hit it right.

Ok..
This is not something to help me setup our kart. I have a hard time adjusting the kart because “someone told me to”. I’m just wanting to understand it.

I’m trying to understand the concept of how low bite needs low cross and vise versa.

Why do low bite tracks need more LF and RR?
cross is to help balance between being loose and a push. If your kart is loose add cross if your kart pushes (understeer) remove cross. low bite tracks need a tire, prep, pressure combo that works for it and a high bite track needs a different tire, prep, psi combo. most people do not adjust cross for a track condition but rather a handling issue. . Your chassis and driving style will dictate the cross and set up. track conditions are a tire strategy.
i keep after camber toe and caster especially after rough races and put things back where i keep them set at. I do not touch the front end at the track its all dialing in the tires and gearing accordingly if you needed to adjust cross at the track use the left rear wheel height adjustment.

We've learned that higher cross is faster IF the tires are perfect for the track. The high cross also makes the kart "darty" according to my driver. We run unusually high cross in our Slacks and are very fast 90% of the time we unload but it makes the tire game that much more critical.

My Jr3 driver provides amazing feedback and clearly knows when the cross is high vs normal. He says its hard to drive but fast. This past weekend for the FKS Vega state series race we lowered the cross several % on his kart as a trial. He was amazed at how much easier the kart was to drive and actually won his feature but the track was dusty and lacking bite as well as being on Vega tires. Next big race on Maxxis we'll likely raise it back up as the Maxxis seem to work better on high cross.

Back