Head bolts

When I was torquing down a head on a brand new motor today, I had two of the head bolts act like they were trying to pull the threads out. I figured that I would keep tightening them up to see what was going on. What was happening was the new head bolts were stretching. One finally broke. I had to use an ez out to get the broken part out. Has anyone had an issue with these head bolts? This is the first time I have had an issue.:confused::confused

I always retap the threads in the block, including sidecover bolts. The typical head bolt on a clone is a low grade steel so it might be wise to buy new bolts on your next rebuild especially if they have been torqued and retorqued numerous times. Replace them with at least a grade 5 or better bolt.

Can't say I ever had that happen before. I use motor oil on the threads of the bolts plus under the head of the bolt and torque to 17 ft lbs. Good Luck !

When I was torquing down a head on a brand new motor today, I had two of the head bolts act like they were trying to pull the threads out. I figured that I would keep tightening them up to see what was going on. What was happening was the new head bolts were stretching. One finally broke. I had to use an ez out to get the broken part out. Has anyone had an issue with these head bolts? This is the first time I have had an issue.:confused::confused

genuine honda gx390 bolts do stretch, i never use them, head or side cover.......bolts are no good will not hold torque....I use ARP.....or grade 8 or better

Well the motor was being built for Box Stock. I think they would frown on me in the tech barn if I changed head bolts LOL. I have built a few of these motors and have not had an issue with them. I have been torquing them to 205 inch pounds. Maybe something with the batch of clones with the 03 heads.

Whoa! im guessin ya found out. glad you got them out I hate using ez out cause it is not ez. may want to check your torque wrench against another or even buy another. a small accurate reasonably priced torque wrench would be nice, any one have a source?

Whoa! im guessin ya found out. glad you got them out I hate using ez out cause it is not ez. may want to check your torque wrench against another or even buy another. a small accurate reasonably priced torque wrench would be nice, any one have a source?

I just think I got a couple of bad Head bolts. I replaced all 4 and had no problems. The Torque wrench is not real old I think I bought it at the 1st of the year. It just was real strange how the two were the ones inside the head. Only one broke but the other one was stretching. I ran a tap through both of them with no problems. Hopefully this is an isolated problem and not a batch of bad head bolts.

I'm glad you shared it with us it could be a batch of bad bolts, but its always good to know when these type of things happen and maybe why .

going along with this thread....bolts or studs? my rules don't care...but what would you prefer? just askin!!!

Back