head choice?

JRW31526

okay, i have 2 160 heads, one is a 14cc the other is a 18cc i am using a .045 head gasket and the piston is about .030 in the hole, i may put the stock honda crank back in it to see if it raises the piston up, im running a max stroke crank right now, isky 315 13s and a tilly 304, i was thinking about milling the 14cc around .060 or the 18cc around .080, i might switch to a copper head gasket if the piston isnt where i want it when i install the different crank, im getting 28.5/25mm valves, any suggestions?

1. Get your piston UP.
2. use a cosmetic 'fire ring' head gasket. Tim Isky sells them.
3. Use head studs.
4. Do NOT put a 28.5mm valve into a 14cc head. The head will have to be unshrouded and then you should have started with an 18cc to begin with. Mill your 18cc .080.

okay, i have 2 160 heads, one is a 14cc the other is a 18cc i am using a .045 head gasket and the piston is about .030 in the hole, i may put the stock honda crank back in it to see if it raises the piston up, im running a max stroke crank right now, isky 315 13s and a tilly 304, i was thinking about milling the 14cc around .060 or the 18cc around .080, i might switch to a copper head gasket if the piston isnt where i want it when i install the different crank, im getting 28.5/25mm valves, any suggestions?

Your .030" in the hole with a max stroke crank???

1. Get your piston UP.
2. use a cosmetic 'fire ring' head gasket. Tim Isky sells them.
3. Use head studs.
4. Do NOT put a 28.5mm valve into a 14cc head. The head will have to be unshrouded and then you should have started with an 18cc to begin with. Mill your 18cc .080.

I follow you to a T on this but if he used the big valve in the 14cc head an did not mill it
it would end up at 16cc head,then get the piston up un shroud it some and would still
flow good.jmo :D

That would be right about piston in the hole depth...it is not the 160 piston...
Stock they come .035 in the hole through a different crank in and then .030 in the hole.

Far as heads go...if you are doing the work yourself...do not mill the 14cc head...unshroud the valves and take the rough edges off everywhere you feel them...then blend a bit around the guide...
By doing this it will outflow a stock 22cc head.
I have a gx200 milled .080 P&P 27/25 valves, and my gx160 14cc head P&P 27/25 valves measuring 15.5cc's.
The 14cc head flows the same as the gx200, and slightly more at .300-.350 lift...
Neither one has the ports enlarged at all...

That would be right about piston in the hole depth...it is not the 160 piston...
Stock they come .035 in the hole through a different crank in and then .030 in the hole.

Far as heads go...if you are doing the work yourself...do not mill the 14cc head...unshroud the valves and take the rough edges off everywhere you feel them...then blend a bit around the guide...
By doing this it will outflow a stock 22cc head.
I have a gx200 milled .080 P&P 27/25 valves, and my gx160 14cc head P&P 27/25 valves measuring 15.5cc's.
The 14cc head flows the same as the gx200, and slightly more at .300-.350 lift...
Neither one has the ports enlarged at all...

I have a question. I have one of the 14cc heads of a gx160 but the valves in it are smaller then the gx200 so shuld I use this head? And would you happen to have a video or pics of unshrouding the valves? Shuld I have the valves cut to fit the gx200? Thanks DP

If the valve in your GX160 are smaller, you have an early head from the 5.3hp. You will see that the ports are much smaller also. Is the exhaust port round or D shaped.

I have a question. I have one of the 14cc heads of a gx160 but the valves in it are smaller then the gx200 so shuld I use this head? And would you happen to have a video or pics of unshrouding the valves? Shuld I have the valves cut to fit the gx200? Thanks DP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbAFotIpkOw

long video but it goes through unshrouding of a sbc 882 head, same concept applys for both kart head and sbc

Back