Head Gasket Replace or Reuse

Always safer to replace one , than lose a race due to one blowing out . I personally never use anything on the head gasket , and have only had 1 fail , which was in an engine with about 20 races on it .

"and have only had 1 fail"

One time should be enough for you to take your own advice about the gravity of a fail and do something different like applying something to the head gasket.

I think you should be interested in asking on here what is the best thing to apply to a head gasket to insure it seals and lasts until the next time it's removed for routine maintenance. And because of your one fail I think you should ignore all replies explaining it's not needed. One fail even considering getting 20 successful races out of the engine can ruin your seasons points.

Racing ain't about what others do, it's about what YOU do and the problems you fix on and off the track to be or become successful.

I've reused head gaskets lots of time with no problems. It has to look pretty good when it comes off. If it's breaking apart or pealing it won't work for long.

I've reused head gaskets lots of time with no problems. It has to look pretty good when it comes off. If it's breaking apart or pealing it won't work for long.

Me too. If it left some on the head or deck, toss it. If its comes off clean and looks good and its not a freaky high compression build, reuse it. Of course different gaskets act differently. Some types lend themselves to be reused better than others.

If I do not have another one available in an emergency situation I will reuse it if there's no signs of leakage

Back