Head rest question

My son is quite small and has problems holding his head up while flat kart racing. If we use the helmet strap from the arm to the helmet its seems like his whole body wants to lean over with his head. is there some type of head rest / helmet support that can be attached to the seat, or do I have to fabricate something?

Thanks

That would be absolutely dangerous !!! Imagine an accident & he’s thrown from the kart but his head is tethered to it....it would be ugly !!!!!

He’s referring to a side head rest. There are no tethers to this just to brace the head in the corners. The shoulder strap goes under the arm pit and straps to the side of the helmet... nothing attached to the kart. To answer the question the only place I’ve seen this is in caged kart racing. Whatever you do get approval first. Hate to see a kid thrown out because of a gray area. Might want to look at a lighter helmet. My youngest is 6 and the smallest thing on the track and not having these problems. Also the neck brace should not be the stiffest and thickest you can find. It causes discomfort that they can only explain as “my neck hurts”

It's not a gray area, a kart has a maximum height rule so you can't have a roll bar or head rest.

That would be absolutely dangerous !!! Imagine an accident & he’s thrown from the kart but his head is tethered to it....it would be ugly !!!!!
you miss understood. I m looking for a rest to attach to the cart that the right side of his helmet would rest against. I'm not looking to attach my kid to the kart. I'm pretty sure someone would punch me in the face if they saw me physically attaching my kid to a flat kart. the tether i was referring too runs from the drivers arm to the helmet. Heres alink Racing Helmet Restraint Straps - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors

He’s referring to a side head rest. There are no tethers to this just to brace the head in the corners. The shoulder strap goes under the arm pit and straps to the side of the helmet... nothing attached to the kart. To answer the question the only place I’ve seen this is in caged kart racing. Whatever you do get approval first. Hate to see a kid thrown out because of a gray area. Might want to look at a lighter helmet. My youngest is 6 and the smallest thing on the track and not having these problems. Also the neck brace should not be the stiffest and thickest you can find. It causes discomfort that they can only explain as “my neck hurts”
His current helmet weighs 2.5 lbs.

My son is quite small and has problems holding his head up while flat kart racing. If we use the helmet strap from the arm to the helmet its seems like his whole body wants to lean over with his head. is there some type of head rest / helmet support that can be attached to the seat, or do I have to fabricate something?

Thanks
Maybe try a shoulder support from PMI with the helmet strap ? seat Shoulder support, racing, creative speed concepts

1. Try to run as many laps as possible before putting the helmet strap on to build up neck strength
2. You do not have to tighten the strap all the way which is why it seems his head is leaning. Only tighten the strap to the point where his head is straight up and the strap is only in use once he gets tired.

I was thinking something bolted to the frame or maybe even the chain guard. Like a seat strut but tall enough to place to the right of his head. Cut out something round and attach to the end of it maybe put some padding on it.

I actually use a strap that goes around my chest and attaches to the chin of my helmet. It holds my head from going back not side to side. My neck support holds side to side, and I just set the strap to keep my head in position

Back