Head Restraints and Karting

jaymancds

Piggy backing off of an earlier safety thread, I started thinking about things we could do to add a bit more safety in karting. I know most places require a helmet support, but I don't know of any that require a head restraint system. I know that a Hans requires belts to work, but Simpson has their Hybrid system that relies more on your chest and arms to hold your head down.

Some of my thoughts were spurred by how sore my neck was after my practice day, and no doubt how sore it will be Sunday. Could we utilize a restraint system that could also help with neck fatigue?

Due to the angle karting requires the head to be at, I don't think there's any currently available device that works well except the LEATT brace. They used to make a karting-specific one, but I think that's discontinued now. There's also debate about the efficacy of neck braces with the argument that they save collarbones and whiplash type injuries, but cause extension type injuries...

Due to the angle karting requires the head to be at, I don't think there's any currently available device that works well except the LEATT brace. They used to make a karting-specific one, but I think that's discontinued now. There's also debate about the efficacy of neck braces with the argument that they save collarbones and whiplash type injuries, but cause extension type injuries...
I think the braces help in a roll over to keep your neck from collapsing as well. That could cause an injury similar to a spear tackle in football. But I don't know of anything to keep from extension if you say, hit the wall head on, or broadside another kart.

We run Valhalla’s and they’re great, especially since we exclusively race opens. The back lip also can hook on the seat which keeps you in the kart, and that lip is of breakaway fiberglass so during an impact or flip you won’t get stuck in the seat. The foam donut does nothing and why it’s still the standard is really beyond me considering the Valhalla is only 150 bucks. That’s cheap considering what we are all willing to spend on racing. The leatt is also very good. These two devices are horribly overshadowed imho.

We run Valhalla’s and they’re great, especially since we exclusively race opens. The back lip also can hook on the seat which keeps you in the kart, and that lip is of breakaway fiberglass so during an impact or flip you won’t get stuck in the seat. The foam donut does nothing and why it’s still the standard is really beyond me considering the Valhalla is only 150 bucks. That’s cheap considering what we are all willing to spend on racing. The leatt is also very good. These two devices are horribly overshadowed imho.
I'll be pinching pennies to get a Valhalla, looks like a nice piece.

Got one. Love it! On top of the safety they are cooler. Not the cool as looks. Cooler as in temperature. Makes it nice on those hot summer day races.

Back