Header on the 206

Bhelmer

I have the candy cane type header. I noticed yesterday that the end of the header has gotten loose somehow. How do I tighten it back up? I tried tighten the bolt and it didn’t do anything.

Thanks

Bolts could be too long and bottomed out. Gasket degeneration sometimes causes the initial loosening. Silicone with no gasket is best in my experience.

The single bolt clamps are bad for that . Replace clamp or get one of the positive pressure types .
Last option replace muffler and or pipe .

DC86EDDE-243D-4C22-B2B5-4177D1BBD4C1.png

I gave up on regular hose clamps and the one bolt aluminum clamps when the Animal first hit the track (how long ago was that)
I started using a "T" bolt stainless steel clamp and never looked back.
Now i think just about everyone uses some version of the stainless steel clamp.
I have switched from the "T" bolt style to one like pictured above.
I have them for $6.95

There are better clamps available (Banjo comes to mind), but the RLV one is what most people use.

Now, with that said, I have seen guys crank these clamps down so tight that they run out of thread on the T-bar. When that happens, they are no more effective than the old aluminum pinch clamps we used to use too.
If you over tighten any clamp and the pipe is heat cycled a few times, the clamp will become loose because you are essentially shrinking the muffler (and more critically, the end of the pipe.)
Now, if you're out of thread on your clamp, you cannot re-tighten.
Shimming it is one solution. Changing the effective length of the T-bar (spacer washers, longer thread, etc.)
Not over-tightening would be good practice. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Briggs rules state in Para 34.e.: "Bolts or nuts must be safety wired to prohibit threads from backing out."
Briggs rules state in Para 35: "Safety wiring of the silencer to header is mandatory."

If the above is followed correctly, it's almost impossible to lose the header or silencer completely during a race unless both header bolts are stripped and the header support clamps fail.

Back