Heads

Hi, been wanting to learn to do head work for clones/predators/tillotsons. what type of tools are need to install valve seats/ big valve seats, guides, cutting spring relief's etc, and also any info to get started? Thank you

Its going to be spendy and you will need a way to check air flow to be able to learn which changes youve made helped and how much it helped, if helped at all. Its a slow process made even harder because there are so many castings to work with and theyre certainly not all the same. I would love to learn it too.

Hi, been wanting to learn to do head work for clones/predators/tillotsons. what type of tools are need to install valve seats/ big valve seats, guides, cutting spring relief's etc, and also any info to get started? Thank you
I have a setup in my shop for working heads as I can't justify the kind of money these guys want for their heads. And with the amount of motors I build it was more economical for me to invest 350 bucks to get the tools and learn myself. What I use is a electric pencil Burr (straight Burr) with a barrell bit to take the majority of material out. Then I have a Dremel and put an adapter on it that looks like a little pen. No idea what it's called can look when I get home if you like but it basically let's you get all the way inside the head and I put ball burrs on it to work the corners out even with the walls. Then I take these sanding balls with different stages of grit that fit on that Dremel tool and make it smooth. The first one I did came out pretty good the second one not so much so I have a buddy that loaned me a few different high dollar heads and I took measurements and made a few more. Wanting to find the difference between mine and the high dollar heads I put the poopy one I did against the high dollar one on the Dyno and I believe there was a quarter hp difference. I now have a flow bench and have finally figured out how to use it correctly but if your running anything other then a spec motor and are like me running a weekly show I would say go for it man. People make this stuff up to be close to rocket science man, at the end of the day their just hot rod tiller motors. Keep it simple.

Back