Heavy Duty dual valve springs

fatfrog

This animal i have been working on came with heavy duty daul valve springs with the retainers and locks its supposed to have for them, when i put the rocker arms on the arms sit on the retainers and not the valve stem, is there supposed to be longer valve valves in the head when you do the valve spring conversion or is there different rockers, thanks

You would not necessarily need longer valves .
Longer push rods sound in order.
If indeed you have longer valves .

On the older Animals it was common to shorten the valves to get a tick more lift. If the rocker studs on your engine have 1/4" diameter it's very likely that the valves have been shortened.
If it has 8mm (5/16") studs it would be less likely but not impossible.
If you want to use stock pushrods they only come in one length.
If you want to use 1/4" chrome-moly push rod they are available in kits that you can make them whatever length you need. I have them if you want them.

Be sure that you have animal valves. The space above the retainer grove is longer where as the WF valve the space is shorter.

You are correct Freeze the the retainer sits higher on the WF valve but not to the point the rocker arm will hit the retainer. The Animal and WF valves are the same OAL.
Interestingly, i just had a 206 that was a real dog. Someone had put a WF intake valve in it and the valve spring pressure was so low the valve leaked terribly.

Also make sure that the keepers(locks) are the correct ones for your valves.
Animal valves typically have a round groove, some aftermarket valves have a 90* stepped groove.

Your valve train geometry needs to be correct....if the rocker is nosed over, or under too far, then you need to change valve lengths or pushrod lengths. As Jimbo said, Comp Cams has chromemoly pushrod kits that most of us stock and sell.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Its the dyno cams dual valve spring kit with the black retainers, pulled the valves out lastnight and measured where the locks go on the valve stem, they are animal valves not the wf valves, could tell in the picture i found what the overall length was supposed to be, but the rocker when adjusted to zero lash is perfectly flat, its not nosed over or anything and it sits in the middle of the valve stem, its just part of the rocker rides on the retainer, thats why i asked about the lash caps to bring the nose of the rocker up a little bit or do i need to buy the chormomoly push rod kit

The only thing they'd be legal in are limiteds and opens.
Not legal (or even necessary) in stock classes.
If you've got a cam that requires double valve springs, then there's probably a whole lot more in your engine that is not legal for racing in the animal classes, I am thinking.

OOPs
I just read the original post again. I screwed up. I was thinking it had stock retainers on it.
With aftermarket retainers on it you could have a problem with the rockers hitting them, especially if the valves had been shortened. The (NEW) minimum legal length of the valves for 206 a is 3.3655 inches.
For a blueprinted Animal it's 3.250"

On the older Animals it was common to shorten the valves to get a tick more lift. If the rocker studs on your engine have 1/4" diameter it's very likely that the valves have been shortened.
If it has 8mm (5/16") studs it would be less likely but not impossible.
If you want to use stock pushrods they only come in one length.
If you want to use 1/4" chrome-moly push rod they are available in kits that you can make them whatever length you need. I have them if you want them.
I need some how much

Back