Hello all

Spam1971

Brand new to karting at 49. Just saying hello, and look forward to grabbing all the info I can. I just bought a Birel AM 29 with Scott Racing LO206. I have no idea how to set this thing up. I don't even know what I should be looking at.
IMG_1646.jpg

Last edited:
Where are you going to race, where do you live, do you have a shop near by, have you ever been to a kart race?
I hate to say this, but I don't think you should even run it until you've checked it over more.
DON'T DRIVE IT IN THE STREET!!!!!
Welcome to kart racing. Answer those first few questions and we can start to guide you in the right direction.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Where are you going to race, where do you live, do you have a shop near by, have you ever been to a kart race?
I hate to say this, but I don't think you should even run it until you've checked it over more.
DON'T DRIVE IT IN THE STREET!!!!!
Welcome to kart racing. Answer those first few questions and we can start to guide you in the right direction.
Clark Gaynor Sr.
I am a member of Speedsportz just north of Houston. I took an advanced karting course on a much faster machine before deciding to get into the sport. I have spent many hours at the track observing and asking questions. I am now into the phase of testing and setting up my own kart. I won't be running on our neighborhood streets. Speedsportz does have a full shop, and I have been running in some league events in their rental karts to prepare myself. Thanks!

Welcome .
Looks pretty well setup .
Check for all the required safety wires and pins .
Typically all steering components and brake components need safety wire .
Axle nuts and rear axle needs snap rings or a snap pin type so the rear hubs can't slide off . Brake fluid type is important as some use dot 5 though not all .
Carb and exhaust may need safety wire depending on track requirements.

Tillet seat and throttle linkage kit look good! Would suggest getting the front end aligned (laser preferred), new head gasket, Amsoil4T oil change and new spark plug. I don't see a beacon mount for the Mychron. Would go with a Mychron5 if you don't currently have a gauge. It's easier to access information vs the Mychron4. We tend to run the tire pressures fairly high (15-25 psi). Would also invest in a set of rear sprockets (62T - 72T), 35 chain with chain breaker, spare clutch and a mounted set of new tires if ur going league racing. Kart stand would be very helpful too as well as tie rods and tie rod ends just in case of an impact whoopsie-daisy. Consider getting it scaled and weighed so u can determine which class to race in. Run ethanol free 87 octane gas, drain the carb bowl at the end of the day, spray it with WD40 or Marvel Mystery Oil before you store it.
That's all I can think of for now.

Tillet seat and throttle linkage kit look good! Would suggest getting the front end aligned (laser preferred), new head gasket, Amsoil4T oil change and new spark plug. I don't see a beacon mount for the Mychron. Would go with a Mychron5 if you don't currently have a gauge. It's easier to access information vs the Mychron4. We tend to run the tire pressures fairly high (15-25 psi). Would also invest in a set of rear sprockets (62T - 72T), 35 chain with chain breaker, spare clutch and a mounted set of new tires if ur going league racing. Kart stand would be very helpful too as well as tie rods and tie rod ends just in case of an impact whoopsie-daisy. Consider getting it scaled and weighed so u can determine which class to race in. Run ethanol free 87 octane gas, drain the carb bowl at the end of the day, spray it with WD40 or Marvel Mystery Oil before you store it.
That's all I can think of for now.
I just had the seat changed to a larger version to fit my ample curves. This kart was ran in the 2020 TSRS and GHRS. I think it finished 2nd. It has been well maintained. I have ordered a stand, and a MyChron5. I am going to run it on the track for the first time this Friday. I have a second set of tires and rims, just need to get them mounted. I appreciate the tips.

Welcome to The Forum from another new guy... I have a Sprint kart with an lo206 here in Oregon... I like you had to get a more generous seat LOL and getting the front end laser lined seem to help.. I got my kart a couple months before the end of this last season and I'm just about the same age 53...
the problem for me running lo206 is our local track weight minimum is 360 for that engine. With karts averaging about 170 that means I have to be 190 with all my race clothes on LOL.. I was 235 when I got the kart three months ago.. I'm 215 now.. If I run the WF class it has a 390 weight minimum.. WF is the biggest class locally anyways so I'm having one blue printed...
I'm very happy with the lo206, but I'd like to have a competitive chance if I'm to enter races...
Not an extreme amount of Sprint participation here mostly dirt track back East but I still enjoy the forum and can get answers... I've only encountered friendly and helpful people...
IMG_20201129_104114.jpg

Welcome to The Forum from another new guy... I have a Sprint kart with an lo206 here in Oregon... I like you had to get a more generous seat LOL and getting the front end laser lined seem to help.. I got my kart a couple months before the end of this last season and I'm just about the same age 53...
the problem for me running lo206 is our local track weight minimum is 360 for that engine. With karts averaging about 170 that means I have to be 190 with all my race clothes on LOL.. I was 235 when I got the kart three months ago.. I'm 215 now.. If I run the WF class it has a 390 weight minimum.. WF is the biggest class locally anyways so I'm having one blue printed...
I'm very happy with the lo206, but I'd like to have a competitive chance if I'm to enter races...
Not an extreme amount of Sprint participation here mostly dirt track back East but I still enjoy the forum and can get answers... I've only encountered friendly and helpful people...
View attachment 13302
I am also sitting at 215. I, like you, want to be competitive. There aren't many 30+(Master Class) folks to run with here, and the ones that are must not have heard of chicken wings. They all come in just above the weight. Me on the other hand, never met a wing I didn't like. Maybe this will spur me into a healthier lifestyle. Nice looking kart.

I am also sitting at 215. I, like you, want to be competitive. There aren't many 30+(Master Class) folks to run with here, and the ones that are must not have heard of chicken wings. They all come in just above the weight. Me on the other hand, never met a wing I didn't like. Maybe this will spur me into a healthier lifestyle. Nice looking kart.
The 206 class is like the Weight Watchers of motorsports. Lots of folks are losing flab in order to become more competitive. My advice is to get seat time now and learn the basics. Proper line, correct gearing, trail braking, tire pressures, front alignment, etc.
It not like when you hit your ideal weight you magically become faster. The 206 class is all about seat time and track experience.

The 206 class is like the Weight Watchers of motorsports. Lots of folks are losing flab in order to become more competitive. My advice is to get seat time now and learn the basics. Proper line, correct gearing, trail braking, tire pressures, front alignment, etc.
It not like when you hit your ideal weight you magically become faster. The 206 class is all about seat time and track experience.
Great advice, and I plan to do just that. In the meantime, I think I see a chicken wing with my name on it.
Wingstop-Harissa-Lemon-Pepper-Flavor-1024x683.jpg

I just had the seat changed to a larger version to fit my ample curves. This kart was ran in the 2020 TSRS and GHRS. I think it finished 2nd. It has been well maintained. I have ordered a stand, and a MyChron5. I am going to run it on the track for the first time this Friday. I have a second set of tires and rims, just need to get them mounted. I appreciate the tips.
It would be irresponsible of me not to mention Amsoil 4T after every race day. There, I said it.

I cut out soda completely which was at least a 2L a day.. I stopped having my wife make a sandwich and chips for lunch and started just having a good quality energy bar.. dinner time I have just about anything I want but I try not to go up for seconds...
I just called the shop and put the kibosh on the blueprint on my world formula.. at this early in the stage I think my money is much more well spent just learning how to drive.. spending an extra four or $500 for one extra horsepower at this point is ridiculous... Either way at this point I'll be fighting with the back of the pack not to get lapped...

Funny , I took a flathead in for dyno time .
It came out about 1 hp down . I asked what it would take to fix that .
Response was about 5 hundred dollars ...:)

Back