Helmet Problems

I was given a Bell Racing Helmet that was used in dirt track racing and it is flatblack so it has the stupid rubberized coating on it. The coating is destroyed and it has scrapes on it and places where the rubber is coming off. What can i do to get it all off? I would be interested in having it painted and using it for go kart racing. I cant stand the rubber stuff because it looks horrible.

Honesty, are sure this helmet is in good shape? Not trying to a jerk here. I personally have hit a point in my life were I wouldn't trust my head (or my family members) head in a used helmet. Even dropping a helmet can compromise it's safety. I have told my 7 year old to treat hisnhelemt like an egg, if it gets dropped it's goingninbthe garbage. We can't afford a replacemt so it would been sitting out for the season...

Honesty, are sure this helmet is in good shape? Not trying to a jerk here. I personally have hit a point in my life were I wouldn't trust my head (or my family members) head in a used helmet. Even dropping a helmet can compromise it's safety. I have told my 7 year old to treat hisnhelemt like an egg, if it gets dropped it's goingninbthe garbage. We can't afford a replacemt so it would been sitting out for the season...
My dad and grandpa have always told me that. The helmet is a good helmet but I have another option to use and I have thought about using it which is what i will proably do. It is the better of the 2 and has been used for drag racing only. It is a simpson bandit and it is really nice but my dad purchased a new helmet because he wanted to get a new 2020 style that will last til 2030 so he went ahead and decided he wants to purchase a new helmet so he doesnt have to do it in 5 years. I was just trying to get the bell looking good because I cant stand to see it so ugly right now.

Dropping a helmet, knocking it off a table, ect, won't ruin it in most cases. A small drop won't compromise the inner foam, just check the shell for cracks, if you find none then you're good. Storing helmets in a trailer with all the chemicals, cleaners, preps and whatnot will do more to compromise the helmet than a small drop. Obviously if it takes a hit while you're wearing it, then it's done.

I'm a helmet painter. On client request, I stripped one of these. IT was a NIGHTMARE. It took aircraft stripper, sanding, paint stripper and more sanding, and it balls up when you sand it, so 80 grit wet sanding... NIGHTMARE. I'd either wrap it, or shoot it with rubberized paint (plasti-dip) after thorough masking... But you've discovered the downside of rubberized helmets... I'll never do another.

I'm a helmet painter. On client request, I stripped one of these. IT was a NIGHTMARE. It took aircraft stripper, sanding, paint stripper and more sanding, and it balls up when you sand it, so 80 grit wet sanding... NIGHTMARE. I'd either wrap it, or shoot it with rubberized paint (plasti-dip) after thorough masking... But you've discovered the downside of rubberized helmets... I'll never do another.
I will never buy a helmet like this ecspesially for this reason. Sounds like and absolute nightmare. I dont know what I am gonna do with it because it soundslike a big waste of money and time. Thanks for the response!

Use it as is, if it's in good condition. Save your money for other things you need. Racers don't care so much, guys worried about how they look do.

Back