Helmet Support Strap aka Sissy Strap

IronHorse

I want to use a Helmet Support Strap (Sissy Strap) to help hold my helmet down and support my neck. Where should I position the D-ring on the helmet and how should it be fasened to the helmet? I run a clone engined on asphault ovals.

I think they're a bad idea (safety) but if I had one, I'd mount the D-ring on the left side, and run the strap under my left shoulder. NEVER to a belt or hard point on the chassis.

I want to use a Helmet Support Strap (Sissy Strap) to help hold my helmet down and support my neck. Where should I position the D-ring on the helmet and how should it be fasened to the helmet? I run a clone engined on asphault ovals.
What helmet do you have ? My son uses his all the time, my daughter on certain tracks.

Midpoint of helmet, low and use a 10-24 stainless bolt with a washer inside helmet and a locknut. Make sure the bolt doesn’t stick out past the nut more than a thread or two when tightened.
I‘ve also seen peeps use a steel rivet and I’ve also seen them use the strap bolt, instead of drilling their helmet.

I called the helmet manufacturer today. I have a PRO15 from RaceQuip. Their technical support suggested that I utlize the reinforced nuts provided for HANS devices to attach the D-ring. I did this and made a trial fit. It looks like it will work. No additional drilling or nuts and washers needed and I didn't have to disturb the impact absorbing foam.

Thanks.

Is this a sissy strap?

Attachments

• CA0A4812-4DE6-4E5D-8061-6E90ADA03BCD.png
    CA0A4812-4DE6-4E5D-8061-6E90ADA03BCD.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 69
you want to mount it in the vertical centerline of your neck on the lower portion of the left hand side of the helmet. if its near the front or rear it will twist your head in a direction and you won't be able to see straight ahead. Simpson Speedway helmets used to come with the D ring pre mounted on the helmets.

1B31537F-3D59-492F-A432-8C63BBA1828E.jpeg

I’d suggest as Kj26 said. You’ll find that using the pre drilled HANS hole will be too far rearward on the helmet.

Oval racing?
I’m a Bell-Zamp-B2 dealer, & can tell you where I’ve found the strap kit, & where Bell recommends mounting them…but drilling a hole does void warranty…Bell used to mount the D-ring prior to shipping, but have discontinued this service… we personally do it for extra oval racing neck support…& recommend to customers who are having your same issue. Also consider upgrading to a lighter helmet possibly.

Text me if you want to chat
706-239-1163
Jonathan
Ultimate Racing Helmets on fb

Bell motto
Got a $10 head…
Buy a $10 helmet
😁

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of yours ???
No, but take out the padding inside the helmet to the extent possible on the side you want to have the strap on so you can see an open spot to drill a hole, put the helmet on, have somebody mark a line on the helmet that lines up to your shoulder, then go back and drill a small hole and then attach the d-ring with either a small bolt/nut or rivet/backing washer...and yes, be aware that drilling a hole, no matter how small in a helmet, voids the warranty in the event of some sort of wreck/accident that causes damage to the helmet and/or driver...

Just a little loop stickin up from the back. A strap on the right side could prolly be useful for an oval kart
My kart is in the barn for a while untill I get my new house sorted and a place for everything.

Back