Help. Axle issue

4zracing

Had a good run tonight then it appears the axle was moving causing Right rear wheel to hit frame. Suggestions please
Set screws, collar on inside of each bearing or double collar one bearing. Or D all the above. Any help appreciated

2020 Prodigy Cadet

20211216_101611.jpg

The other option 🤣

Pin the bearing on one side, other side use 2 lock collars. Double pinch bolt hub of course. Some people will use a sleeve and pin the bearing on opposite side.

axle spacers!!!! if you want to be cool:p. lock collars are so 90s :cautious:.
https://www.pmckart.com/catalog/p-100717/axle-spacers-1-14-id

people run mini gears then put on 4 lock colors and giant hubs :ROFLMAO:
I notice this all the time. People put mini gears and stuff like that on there axle but yet put heavy lock collars on both side of bearings and double locking bug hubs. I have the bolt that goes through the axle and threads into the bearing on each side.

As an FYI on a carbon-fiber sleeve (made from bias weave, like the one in the photo)....

That will have about 1/10th the compressive strength of a steel spacer with the same dimensions. Even aluminum will have about 4x the compressive strength of the carbon part.

Whether in tension or compression, unidirectional fibers that are in-line with the force are the best bet, if carbon is the "solution of choice".

PM

As an FYI on a carbon-fiber sleeve (made from bias weave, like the one in the photo)....

That will have about 1/10th the compressive strength of a steel spacer with the same dimensions. Even aluminum will have about 4x the compressive strength of the carbon part.

Whether in tension or compression, unidirectional fibers that are in-line with the force are the best bet, if carbon is the "solution of choice".

PM
yes people use carbon in the wrong way all the time. it's the new 'Titanium'. boeing can't even keep their planes together lol

As an FYI, the carbon-fiber sleeves in the photo work FANTASTIC, very light, look great and hubs NEVER slide and the axle looks like new under the sleeves after a season of sprint racing. I have no affiliation with the manufacturer of the sleeves, have used them on 2 very demanding sprint chassis and am thrilled with their flawless performance.

I did on my right rear once but hasnt happened since...I always check tightness on all stuff on rear axle every time I come in the pits. I use a double locking right rear hub though.

Legend,

I'm in no way implying that a carbon tube won't prevent a hub from moving inward -- I'm sure it's plenty strong enough, and quite lightweight!

All I'm saying is that, in the engineering world... a bias-weave carbon layup is poor use of the material to resist a compressive load.

No offense intended in any way. :)

PM

As an FYI, the carbon-fiber sleeves in the photo work FANTASTIC, very light, look great and hubs NEVER slide and the axle looks like new under the sleeves after a season of sprint racing. I have no affiliation with the manufacturer of the sleeves, have used them on 2 very demanding sprint chassis and am thrilled with their flawless performance.

Back