Help getting a clone to start

As has been hinted, but not openly explained, the coil may produce enough spark to fire in open air, but not enough to fire plug under compression. Try a different coil and also a new plug.

I just found the build sheet from the engine most of these donor parts cane from. It specifies the coil gap at .050.
I remember reading somewhere that the crankshaft flex can cause issues with coil gap at high RPM’s. So this evening .050 it is!
thanks for all the help sorting this out.

That is substantial . That was tdc by feel with a gauging device ;) .
Funny thing the other clone with pvl was less then that at 1.25 but both still less then 2 . Both similar as well . Its been a long time since i did the pvl so no idea where it is at . Really just a rough check of the key any where from 1.25 - 2 inches should not keep it from starting .
Oh by the way the arc flywheel was a predator though the diameter is the same the actual timing will be different. My mistake there .

That is substantial . That was tdc by feel with a gauging device ;) .
Funny thing the other clone with pvl was less then that at 1.25 but both still less then 2 . Both similar as well . Its been a long time since i did the pvl so no idea where it is at . Really just a rough check of the key any where from 1.25 - 2 inches should not keep it from starting .
Oh by the way the arc flywheel was a predator though the diameter is the same the actual timing will be different. My mistake there .
Ahh that may be the difference then. My timing is somewhere between 36-39, I held the starter box and spun the engine while my wife held the timing light and marked the line lol. If I just line up the line with the leg of the coil it shows 36, when spun looks closer to 39

Well, pieced the engine together with some parts we had laying around. She made it to first place for most of the race, until turn 4 coming to the checkered flag. It lost power, died and that was it. Locked up tight. She did coast across the finish line for second place, but now we are going to be looking for a good cheap engine!

Back